French give towns ‘rude’ names

A GROUP of French villages with mirth-producing names such as Filthy Pig and My Bottom have formed a league of the absurd to pool experience at the butt end of popular humour.

The first meeting of “Villages of lyric or burlesque names” took place over the weekend in a hamlet outside the southern city of Toulouse entitled Mingocebos, which means Eat Onions in the old southern language of Occitan.

“When you go to a reception and you say you are the mayor of Bordeaux nothing happens. When you say you are the mayor of Cucugnan people laugh,” said Denis Descube, a municipal official in Cucugnan, whose name evokes twice over the French for Arse.

Other villages taking part were Beaufou (Beautiful Mad), Saligos (Filthy Pig) and Cocumont (Cuckold Hill). Trecon (Very Stupid) and Montcuq (My Arse) stayed away. Places with lyrical rather than lewd names included Cassaniouze, Escannecrabe and Clochemerle — which was made famous in the book of the same name by Gabriel Chevallier.

“It’s a way of capitalising on the name. Till now it’s just been a source of humour, but this way we are putting ourselves on the map,” said Descube.

English [speaking] visitors to France have long been amused by place names such as Pissy, Stains, Stiff, Anus, Condom and Brest.

Agence France-Presse

[via news.com.au]

9 Responses to “French give towns ‘rude’ names”

1. Huw
    October 31st, 2003 07:16

In German speaking lands there is a similar abundance of towns, villages and hamlets with the inclusion of wank. There is a village near Tübingen called Wank, when I first saw the sign I had to ask my (German) partner if this was a command. Needless to say when I explained, she was not amused ;-)

2. dvd
    October 31st, 2003 07:56

i think it’s always a good idea to put towns on the map.

3. Fluffy
    October 31st, 2003 09:16

anyone know of any dodgy english towns with funny names?

October 31st, 2003 09:45

I think working out how to pronounce some of them is a joke in itself (and I do mean English, not Welsh)…

5. dvd
    October 31st, 2003 10:01

following on from huw’s comment [in an anagrammatical way] we have newark [near peterborough].

October 31st, 2003 10:38

*blush* forgive this immigrant, how do you pronounce Newark then? Newk? Nark? I thought it was Newuk.

7. Huw
    October 31st, 2003 10:58

I have always found Piddle and Slaughter interesting – you can find Piddles in Worcestershire, Gloucestershire and Dorset, a favourite being Wyre Piddle. Never quite got to grips with Upper and Lower Slaughter.

From memory there is a Never Piddle in Dorset, now there’s a concept!

8. dvd
    October 31st, 2003 11:17

i too pronounce newark ‘newuk’. i just think it’s funny that it’s an anagram of ‘wanker’. :)

October 31st, 2003 11:28

Doh! Trying to juggle work and blogging on split screens is Not A Good Idea.