Two “science” links in one week?

Blame Karan for this one.

Within a few years we could be using genetically engineered plants to warn of landmines:

The genetically modified weed has been coded to change color when its roots come in contact with nitrogen-dioxide (NO2) evaporating from explosives buried in soil.

Within three to six weeks from being sowed over land mine infested areas the small plant, order a Thale Cress, will turn a warning red whenever close to a land mine.

According to data compiled by Aresa, more than 100 million land mines have been spread out in 45 countries, hidden killers that often remain for years after a conflict is over.

Oestergaard said the problem of sowing the seeds in a potential land mine could be overcome by clearing strips through a field by conventional methods or by using crop planes.

Currently land mines are mostly removed by putting a stick into the ground to locate the mine, then removing it and detonating it. Dogs and metal detectors are also often used.

7 Responses to “Two “science” links in one week?”

1. fluffy
    January 28th, 2004 21:08

ok firstly god daisy your blog is beautiful. I normally surf the web using my laptop and the colours come out very different on there (hence i thought for a long time my blog looked alright!)
    But this is gorge!

Secondly… crop dusting great.. i was thinking the same thing. Sounds good huh. Better than the poke the ground with a stick methos methinks! (poor doggies!)

2. graeme
    January 28th, 2004 22:43

Where you go science follows…pink daisies identify potential land mines?

3. e
    January 29th, 2004 00:14

That is a fantastic innovation! And utterly environmentally friendly. How do they propose sowing the seed?

4. e
    January 29th, 2004 00:18

And I agree with Fluffy- your blog is beautiful, amongst other excellent qualities.

5. annipink
    January 29th, 2004 10:57

They poke dogs into the ground? How cruel!

January 29th, 2004 11:15

*blush* thanks guys.

As for sowing the seeds, the chap from Aresa Biodetection said:
    “…clearing strips through a field by conventional methods or by using crop planes.”

Not sure about the conventional methods, sounds dangerous. I’m with crop planes.

7. e
    January 29th, 2004 13:16

Jolly good thing I read your entire article thoroughly what what! Do you go huntin’? Pass the cigars old chap.

I read and re-read twice looking for that info, plus I read the original, and I didn’t find it. Damn my speed-reading!