Quick caption competition

Following on from Lyle‘s outrageously breedist post (is there such a word?), you are cordially invited to come up with a caption for this picture from the BBC’s Crufts in pictures 2004:

bcc_crufts_dog_bigandsmall.jpg

Deedee will choose the winner by the end of the day. Whippet dissers need not apply. Heh.

13 Responses to “Quick caption competition”

1. zed
    March 9th, 2004 09:16

“does my ass look big in this ?”

i’m hopeless at captions.

2. grooveraccoon
    March 9th, 2004 09:29

[the bulldog] “I’d call this puppy love but I’m not into all those new positions.”

3. David
    March 9th, 2004 09:32

Dog on the right: “Hmmm, Bark Kent was here just a second ago… Oh hi Superdog. We’ve got to save Lyle before Daisy gets to him!”

4. grooveraccoon
    March 9th, 2004 09:35

[Big Al] “What’s with the cape?”
    [Shorty] “I’ve dedicated my life to protecting the little guy. Ever since the accident, I’ve developed these super powers.”
    [Big Al] “but you ARE the little guy!”

5. lyle
    March 9th, 2004 09:57

The whippet was a skittish little bag of nerves. Personally, I really didn’t think it deserved the award – it didn’t seem to be as well presented as the others, and just didn’t appeal. I’d have said the same about the Old English Sheepdog, if that’d won it.

The Scottie that got the reserve was OK, and fairly deserving, but even the commentators/presenters were more “bloody hell! How did that get it?” – it was definitely a surprising recipient of the award.

And sorry, but the Schnauzer was beautiful.

March 9th, 2004 10:24

I agree, the Schnauzer is gorgeous and have to confess that I didn’t see the Crufts final (the mutts get barking fever when there are dogs on the telly and our next door neighbour has been ill recently so we’re trying to keep the noise down).

A few years back I would have said “greyhound? whippet? eeuww, skinny bag o bones” but quite a few people at our local dog walking park have adopted ex racing greyhounds and now I’m a big fan. They’re lean rather than skinny and the gentlest of creatures, particularly with children. And those lovely big eyes.

As for Deedee, she does look nervous in that picture (her tail is right underneath her body) (or maybe that’s a preferred “show position”?) but it’s good to see a plain working dog breed get recognition after all the fancy schmancy winners of recent years.

7. lyle
    March 9th, 2004 10:49

I agree, regarding greyhounds. I’m just not a great fan of whippets. And yes, it just looked skittish and nervous during the event.

As for “proper dog” over “fancy schmancy”, so far as I was concerned it really should’ve been between the Schnauzer and the Bichon Frise, which was lovely too, and both thoroughly deserved their best of type/breed/whatever that they’d already received.

8. Cindy
    March 9th, 2004 12:24

“Darling, your cape is SO last year!”

9. em
    March 9th, 2004 21:03

“That black looks very slimming on you.”

10. Karan
    March 10th, 2004 01:31

Hubba hubba ding ding…baby you got everything!

11. Rose
    March 10th, 2004 14:45

“Hiya, little thang!!”

12. Rose
    March 10th, 2004 14:52

Or “Hiya, little thang!! Hubba hubba!

March 10th, 2004 17:05

What is about “Hubba hubba” that makes me giggle? I must look for the origins – unless anyone knows?