Dieting is bad for you. Duh.

Both Gert and Pewari have written about this article by Paul Campos, author of The Obesity Myth.

Size really doesn’t matter. You can be just as healthy if you’re fat as you can if you’re slender. And don’t let the obesity ‘experts’ persuade you otherwise, argues Paul Campos.

Amen! Whole rainforests have been written on this subject. I don’t have anything to add to it except to say that looking around at friends and family of varying ages and backgrounds, it is glaringly obvious that regardless of whether they are naturally slim, plump or overweight, the healthier ones (those who rarely get colds & flu, need very infrequent trips to the doctor) are those who do not diet.

If one were forced to come up with a six-word explanation for the otherwise inexplicable ferocity of America’s war on fat, it would be this: Americans think being fat is disgusting. Fifty years ago, America was full of people that the social elites could look upon with something approaching open disgust: blacks in particular, of course, but also other ethnic minorities, the poor, women, Jews, homosexuals, and so on. Nowadays, a new target is required.

Hmm. That’s worth thinking about.

Incidentally, I’ve read anecdotal evidence that if you do develop certain types of cancer whilst overweight you stand a better chance of survival.

Time for a cup of tea and a biscuit, no?

7 Responses to “Dieting is bad for you. Duh.”

1. Kimberly
    April 26th, 2004 16:53

Wowie. Thanks for posting this Daisy. Lots of things to think about.

April 26th, 2004 17:40

It’s interesting isn’t it? I’m debating whether to pre-order the book at the minute.

3. Cindy
    April 26th, 2004 17:41

Today I’m feeling very light on my feet regardless of knowing full well that miss piggy still resides under my clothes. :-)

4. briger-oo
    April 26th, 2004 19:44

oo.

always time for tea and a biscuit methinks!

5. em
    April 26th, 2004 23:28

hmm, hard for me to digest, being a medical editor-type who dines on the clinical literature all day every day, but i’ll read it and keep and open mouth…er mind! :-)

6. DC
    April 27th, 2004 20:19

Dieting may not be healthy but having a healthy diet is… big difference There is scientific evidence that high cholesterol causes heart attacks. How does this happen? Plaque build up in the arteries. How does THAT happen? A diet high in saturated fats. Don’t let this fool you, being overweight is generally not a good thing and justifying it is even worse. I am not saying being supermodel thin is healthy at all, I am just saying that not having a healthy diet is also not good for you. Anyone who says responsible diet and exercise is not beneficial is just wrong. How is it that the CDC expects obesity related disease to become the number one killer in America? http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/index.php?newsid=6438

April 27th, 2004 21:24

Did you read the article DC? The author is not recommending an unhealthy diet and is questioning the figures you link to. His main point is that dieting is bad for you, not a healthy diet.

I would agree with you that a balanced diet full of proteins and vitamins etc. plus a moderate amount of good old fatty stuff (scones! yum!) coupled with regular exercise is the ideal but I think there are bigger health risks in the world today. Raise your hand if you’ve been worried at your raised blood pressure levels on seeing pictures of a smirking Bush for example?

*raises hand high*