Woof!

Xequa's new puppy, Einstein

Xequa will soon be the proud daddy of that bundle of beautiliciousness. His name is Einstein and I’m oozing with jealousy. He’s a Bernese mountain dog, my favourite breed. I know that we can’t have another dog and I know that Bernese rarely appear in rescue centres but *sigh*, I would love one.
[Update: top place for favourite breed is tied with Portuguese water dogs, particularly Riso. Sorry Riso, my head was turned for a minute there…]

So a few doggy links to celebrate:

16 Responses to “Woof!”

1. Huwge
    May 1st, 2004 01:27

Bernese are second favourite to Airedales in my book, but can understand the preference.

May 1st, 2004 01:30

You still up??

3. x e q u a
    May 1st, 2004 02:20

Thank you so much!

I am so incredibly eager for the next 17-or-so days to pass, that I can hardly stand it. I signed the papers just this morning, and I’m already in the midst of Einstein-proofing my apartment…

4. toni
    May 1st, 2004 04:54

It’s so wild to see you linking to dogshatebush, because that site was the fun labor of a good friend of mine. She’ll be thrilled to see it linked. Thanks.

May 1st, 2004 07:57

Is it really Toni? It’s a wonderful site, content and design. I’m still chuckling at the “Top Ten Things Dogs Would Rather Do Than Vote for Bush in 2004”

6. Huwge
    May 1st, 2004 09:38

Am in the UK so it wasn’t as late as it seemed ;-)

7. e
    May 1st, 2004 14:38

That’s EXACTLY what I want to adopt. There are loads here, even pure-bred, in shelters, but they’re practically non-existant in Britain, certainly in shelters, as you say. I just wish we could import one… :(

May 1st, 2004 15:19

You know e, I’m seeing more in the local parks these days. I wonder if it would be worth emailing/calling some rescues before you get back to the UK, telling them of your interest.

I just did a quick search and according to the the bernese breeds assocation of GB, “the number of unwanted Bernese Mountain dogs has increased each year”. There are some more addresss here.

9. e
    May 2nd, 2004 04:34

Thanks Daisy! That’s the first BMD rescue (Somerset one) I’ve seen that’s reasonably close to Devon. They all seem to have a policy of only rehoming in the area of the shelter, for some strange reason- probably to do with checking up on their welfare.

10. toni
    May 2nd, 2004 07:19

Daisy, sorry to forget to answer — yes, she’s a screenwriter (sold a lot, two or three films produced, I forget now), and she runs a board for screenwriters. Very funny woman. And really really doesn’t like Bush.

May 2nd, 2004 10:14

I have good vibes about this, e. Just remember, I’m your first choice for godmother when he/she arrives ;-)

12. e
    May 2nd, 2004 13:37

Or is that “dogmother”? And would long walks on Sidmouth beach be included in your godmotherly duties?

May 2nd, 2004 13:41

Long walks on Sidmouth beach would be top of the list.

Reminds me of the story of the dyslexic atheist who woke up in the night shouting “Is there a dog?”.

14. e
    May 3rd, 2004 14:28

Woof!

15. Karan
    May 4th, 2004 20:53

There was a close call when a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog came up just before Riso…..and Riso only won out because he was supposed to a mid-sized dog! Of course, we love him just as he is…but it was mighty close!

16. John K
    January 24th, 2005 10:31

If you would like another Berner, go to BARC Inc. We alway are looking for new homes for our Rescues!

John K