Layee-odl-layee-odl-layee-o

You know you have those days when you just can’t get rid of a particular song from your head? What did I do to deserve this? All day, all bloody day, I’ve been humming, singing and whistling

High on a hill was a lonely goatherd
Layee-odl-layee-odl-layee-o
Loud was the voice of the lonely goatherd
Layee-odl-layee-odl-layee-o
Folks in a town that was quite remote, heard
Layee-odl-layee-odl-layee-o
Lusty and clear from the goatherd’s throat heard
Layee-odl-layee-odl-o

Not quite sure which song I mean? You can listen to Lonely Goatherd here and see the lyrics here. If you’re a glutton for punishment really interested, you can hear the non vocal version here.

Meanwhile, the dogs were last seen making a fast getaway and are now thought to be somewhere south of Canterbury.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I’ve just signed up for FunJunkie’s Summer Burn [via Dragon]. I solemnly promise not to include this track on my cd. Scouts honour.

p.s. And I’ve had the cheek to put this in the Music category. Heh.

p.p.s. Ever wondered what names for dogs are popular in Canada, France and Belgium? Wonder no more. I can almost go with Bikini, but Tentation? That worries me.

9 Responses to “Layee-odl-layee-odl-layee-o”

1. anan
    June 28th, 2004 01:44

you cut that out, Daisy, or i’ll start digging up 400yr. old Acadian kayaking tunes to portage by!

2. e
    June 28th, 2004 02:18

That is my favourite song in the whole film. And I’m sad to say that despite wailing for years every time my mother wanted to see it, we now have a copy. I’m just sharing the love…

3. Tam
    June 28th, 2004 03:30

The song is better with the Julie Andrews’ masterful use of beer drinking puppets. ;)

4. pam
    June 28th, 2004 04:13

Do what I do to banish that song. Sing it out loud with a terrible British accent … ooh, may not work as well on your side of the ocean.

June 28th, 2004 09:49

Yes please anan!

e, I have to confess to having a soft spot for this film. My favourite scene is the So long, farewell song.

I saw a documentary once about Sound of Music fans who gather for special cinema showings of the film, all dressed up in floral frocks or lederhosen, singing along to all the songs. Sort of a the non cool version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Oh Tam, the puppets! I’d forgotton those. Pam, no matter what accent I use, it’s still an offense to humanity, my voice is so bad. And you all thought the Welsh could sing. But I know all the words, even after all this time.

Dammit, I think it’s time I rented the video, I don’t want to wait for the next Christmas showing.

6. Huwge
    June 28th, 2004 10:14

Hang on, what’s uncool about lederhosen? Check out the picture on Briggy’s blog ;-)

June 28th, 2004 10:26

*hits forehead dramatically*

But of course! Briggy, shall we set up a SoMA* webring?

*Sound of Music Apprreciation

8. Hula Doula
    June 28th, 2004 19:54

Oh great!! I’ll be singing that song all day now!! My daughter loves it when I yodel!! snicker!
    When I got married I had several Sound of Music songs in the ceremony!! No Lonely Goatherd didn’t make the cut!

June 28th, 2004 23:01

Heh, heh, heh. You do know that you’ve just admitted to that IN PUBLIC!