24 hours

No, not the tv series (does anyone else think that if we had a Prime Minister/President who looked like David Palmer we wouldn’t give a monkeys what his policies were? Shallow? Moi?). But I digress. I got hit by a 24 hour stomach bug. I’ll spare you the details but now I’m back up and running, singing along to Mireille Mathieu (apparently Apollo XV played one of Mireille’s songs on the moon in 1975) (I’m just about to email the site admin to let them know that Angleterre does NOT mean Great Britain) and the poor dogs are on hunger strike until I stop:

DESCRIPTION

So I’ve come to annoy you lot instead. Heh. And today’s theme is movie sound tracks. Prompted by coming across a thoughtful piece regarding the music used in Fahrenheit 9/11. I don’t usually buy soundtracks (I’d rather buy the film) but there are few that stand alone from the film – Schindler’s List, Dances with Wolves, The Commitments and some of you might be old enought to remember Thirtysomething (by Stewart Levin and the wonderfully named w.g. snuffy walden – even his website is stylish).

mariaaaaaa
And it’s an excuse to remind you of the Lonely Goatherd post… Driving back from the chemist last night I switched over to Capital Radio just as someone was talking about screenings of the Sound of Music in central London. They’re called Sing-a-long-a Sound of Music evenings and they’re at the Prince Charles theatre, Leicester Square. More details here.

Ever been to a musical film and had the uncontrollable urge to burst into song? Do you muse over the endless tailoring opportunities for chintz curtains? Have you always wondered what it would be like to wear a wimple?

This is your chance to test your vocal range with several hundred other assorted nuns, Von Trapp family members and Julie Andrews’ look-alikes.

Watch the original 1965 film in glorious full screen technicolor with subtitled musical numbers so now the whole audience can sing along.

Your host for the evening will lead a choral warm-up and take you through your complimentary magic moments fun bag.

I can think of worse ways to waste a tenner, no?

Disclaimer: Just in case the good folks over at FunJunkie’s Summer Burn come across this post, I hereby promise not to include anything from The Sound of Music, Mireille Mathieu, David Hasselhof, Des O’Connor or Cilla Black.

8 Responses to “24 hours”

1. Dragon
    June 30th, 2004 17:14

PHew! That’s okay then. That is, if I ended up being the one to receive said Hasslehofftastic disc!

Not that the one I’ll end up doing is going to be any better!

June 30th, 2004 17:22

Woudn’t it be funny if we “knew” (blogwise) the person we received the cd from? I’m hoping that Huw will be signing up soon. In fact, I think I’ll go email him.

3. annipink
    June 30th, 2004 19:06

That sing-along-a-sound-of-music thing sounds like a riot. Shame it finished last Saturday….

June 30th, 2004 19:23

Eh?

Availability: from 31 Jul 2004 to 21 Aug 2004

You’re just trying to pretend you don’t want to go and that it’s not a good excuse to whip out the wig again ;-0))

5. anan
    June 30th, 2004 20:11

Sorry to hear you were under the weather, Daisy. And you still managed to crawl to the computer to talk to us…! What a brave soul you are…!

6. Katherine
    June 30th, 2004 20:14

I went when they came to Sheffield and it’s a really good night out. My friend and I dressed up as brown paper packages tied up with string, which disintegrated pretty quickly. Try not to sit next to someone who’s just that bit too obsessed with the film though…

I’ve just bought the soundtrack to Lost in Translation and it’s pretty good.

7. annipink
    July 1st, 2004 21:01

It said the last night was 26th June when I checked the other night. And it had a price of £13.50 too – I did wonder at your mention of £10.

Ahh, just paged down and it has the £13.50 crossed out.

Maybe it’s just another one of my ditzy moments….

8. annipink
    July 1st, 2004 21:03

Okay, just checked my history – did you have a different link yesterday? this one – http://www.londontown.com/LondonEvents/Sing-A-Long-ASoundOfMusic/cb5f8 – has it running from 29th Nov 2003 to 26th June 2004!

So I am not losing it (completely, anyway).