Summer Burn

Have I linked to this before? It’s still very funny. Crouching Bunny, Hidden Rabbit.

Just when you thought folks couldn’t get any stoopider – the vinegar boy [from customers suck via Squirrel X]

Also from SquirrelX, the menstrual avenger [not for family viewing!]

And in other news, I’ve finally found out how to make compilation cds. Eh? Well I’d not made one before. I just take a cd out of its case, play it and put it back. What an education I’ve had. Wanting to make a compilation cd for the FunJunkie Summer Burn project, I merrily copied lots of tracks from various cds to the hard drive. And then from the hard drive to the blank cd. On copying the third one it occurred to me to take it downstairs and check that it actually played on a cd player. Uh, uh. Googling wasn’t a lot of help (probably because I didn’t know what to search for at that stage). But um, there’s a reason why it’s called Summer Burn. Yes, I know. Quelle twuntflap.

Here are the tracks that finally made it. [Sorry about the poopy screenshot but if I paste the text in, googlers will end up here looking for information and lyrics by the artists listed.]

summerburn_vol1

summerburn_vol2

22 Responses to “Summer Burn”

1. Fi
    July 13th, 2004 05:21

Zoom by Fat Larry’s Band?

Ahhhh, that one brings back memories…

2. Huwge
    July 13th, 2004 07:38

So you went with the John Cale version – nice to see you sponsoring a countryman :)

3. David
    July 13th, 2004 08:16

Whoop! Adam Masterson! :D

4. Ed
    July 13th, 2004 21:34

I just got a look at Chasingdaisy.com and I have to say that it looks wonderful. I can’t wait to see the finished product.

July 14th, 2004 11:36

Heh, glad to see a few crowd pleasers in there.

Huwge, I read somewhere that the John Cale version was used in the Shrek movie but that the Rufus Wainwright version is on the soundtrack cd because Wainwright is in the Sony stable, Cale is not. Oh and here’s an interesting site. I don’t think I’ve heard the Jeff Buckley version, must ask my brother next time we’re home (he’s a big Buckley fan).
    p.s. What about the *cough* Stereophonics? :-)

Ed, as for the dot com site *groan* I really need to do something with that.

6. Huwge
    July 14th, 2004 12:26

I took that as a given, but was disturbed at the absence of any Super Furry Animals or Gorky’s Zygotic Monkey. I am prepared to tolerate the absence of Catatonia, Cerys Matthews and Manic Street Preachers as they appear to have gone off the boil. :)

As for the absence of any Tom Jones and Harry Secombe, well you must wrestle with your conscience on your own.

July 14th, 2004 12:56

Oh I wrestled with a couple of Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci tracks (especially since the album I have is titled How I Long to Feel That Summer In My Heart but Handbags & Gladrags won out over Cân Megan. I didn’t put in a Cerys Matthews track, reckoning that most of the Summer Burn participants would have the Cockahoop album (and I *gasp* don’t have anything by Catatonia).

Believe it or not, I don’t have any Tom Jones/Harry Secombe on cd and converting vinyl to cd was just too much of a pain in the bum to consider.

8. Huwge
    July 14th, 2004 13:19

Oh well, there’s always the Winter Burn I s’pose ;)

9. briggy
    July 14th, 2004 21:36

heh!

kids are loving this kung fu bunny thing.

might steer them away from menstrual avenger tho.

10. David
    July 14th, 2004 21:57

The Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah is amazing, and I’m a sucker for the original Leonard Cohen version. I’ll have to check out those others — Rufus Wainwright did a cool cover of The Beatles’ Across the Universe for the I Am Sam soundtrack so I’m interested to hear his take on Hallelujah.

11. de gnome
    July 14th, 2004 23:24

hey, cool to see some of y’all reading my little bit on Jeff Buckley’s cover of “Hallelujah” from the link above. Hope you enjoy it.

And if I may be so bold, why not give my Internet radio station, radio hidebound, a little listen? The URL is in the sig below. In addition to Buckley’s “Hallelujah”, one can request one of two versions of “Happy Talk” from the Damned’s Captain Sensible.

cheers.gnome

July 15th, 2004 15:40

Huwge – Winter Burn? I’m up for it!

Yes Briggy, I think that could traumatise young, impressionable minds ;-0)

De gnome – thank you, I’ll be right along when I’ve finished up this deadline.

July 15th, 2004 15:44

Hey David, it would be interesting to create a page where folks could download all the versions of a particular song, such as Hallelujah by Cohen, Cale, Buckley, Wainwright, etc. – sounds like a good idea for a wet summer weekend eh?

14. briggy
    July 15th, 2004 16:21

well.

it certainly traumatised mine.

15. anan
    July 15th, 2004 20:18

i think vinegar boy used to come into the place i used to work for double lattes.

16. David
    July 16th, 2004 00:05

Yes Daisy, that would be interesting. Illegal, but interesting… ;)

17. de gnome
    July 16th, 2004 00:42

no downloads, cause yeah, that’d be illegal and more than a little unfair to our musician brothers and sisters, but here’s a cool little list of covers:

July 16th, 2004 00:50

*blush* I think what I actually meant was to have samplers of each cover version with links to the appropriate vendors/band sites *ahem*. Look, this is stone age Daisy you’re dealing with, I don’t even own an mp3 player and spent a week working out how to create a compilation cd!

Thanks de gnome, will check it out. Um, on your site, do I have to download the 365 software to hear the tracks?

19. de gnome
    July 16th, 2004 16:37

Hi Daisy, there are several ways one can listen to a Live365 station. The easiest way is to “install” the embedded web-based Live365 player, but if one already uses a mp3 player like WinAmp or Windows Media Player, those will work as well.

I’ve posted a couple of links on both radiohidebound.com and hidebound.com on the details of how to listen to radio hidebound via Live365

There is also a “stand-alone” Live365 player, but I’d recommend that only if one really likes the Live365 service.

Hope you decide to give radio hidebound, now with over 5000 songs in the playlist, a try.

cheers.gnome

20. Shades of Blue
    July 14th, 2004 04:53

Crouching Bunny, Hidden Rabbit

Once more a bunny-themed post – I’m sure you all know by now that I love bunnies. Heh. Anyway, this is silly, but it’s got bunnies: Crouching Bunny, Hidden Rabbit. via wonderful Daisy….

21. Uptown Girl
    July 14th, 2004 15:47

Re: Blogs 13

1. Show off your multi-tasking talents! What do you/can you do while you blog at the same time? I am a multi-tasker. I can talk on the phone and blog. I can work and blog. I can have lunch…

22. chasingdaisy.com » Blog Archive » Blogging for Aid #8 [Competition!]
    December 6th, 2005 11:31

[…] Someone has taken the time to ask Google to translate this page [merci!] and as I chuckled at the very literal translations of blog names I had a “ding” moment – how about a quick quiz – the first one to leave a comment with all answers correct gets a Daisy Winter Burn – similar to the Summer Burn cd but with a few surprises. So, here’s Quiz #1 : French: […]