Summer Burn 2004

Quick summary: Summer Burn 2004 was run by the good folks at FunJunkie, you create a mix cd (or two) and send it off to the addresses sent to you by random. And you receive two mix cds.

I got my first one and I now need to go spend serious money make a big list for Santa.

Here’s the playlist:

The good the bad and the ugly/Wall of Voodoo
I wanna be a cowboy / Boys don’t cry
Gin’n’juice / The Gourds
Hello walls / Reverend Horton Heat
Long gone lonesome blues / Various artists
My home’s across the blue ridge mountains /
Pretty Saro / Iris DeMent
Cumberland Blues Dream / Doug Cox
Bue Eyes / Unce Tupelo
I’ve got spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle / Gen?
Wayfaring Stranger / 16 Horsepower
2 days smug and sober / Carolyn Mark and the ?
A little less conversation / Elvis Presley
Poor Ellen Smith / Neko Case / The Pine Valley ?
I fought the law / The Clash
Philadelphia Lawyer / Woody Guthrie
Secret Agent Man / Johnny Rivers
Sweet heaven when I die / Doc Watson and Cla…
Lonelier than this / Steve Earle
Littlest Birds / The Be Good Tanyas

See those question marks? Well the playlist isn’t quite complete so I’ve been rumbling around google, fitting all the pieces together but I’m not yet done. Which means I get to learn a lot more about the artists than I would’ve done by simply sitting here listening. A cunning plan methinks.

As for the ones I sent out, no-one’s admitting to receiving them on the forums. So either they’re crap and the receipients don’t want to hurt my feelings or they’re so awesomely fantabuloso that somewhere in Brighton UK and Dover PA two people are holed up in rooms somewhere playing them over and over and over…

My money’s on the former.

Still, shall we petition for a Winter Burn 2004, eh?

10 Responses to “Summer Burn 2004”

1. Huwge
    August 2nd, 2004 21:18

Jingle, Jangle – could be “Do you love me?” by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds – anyhoo the list is definitely by someone with a love of alt Americana. Only surprise is that there is no Wilco or Joe Ely – nice CD you’ve got there

2. Huwge
    August 2nd, 2004 21:23

3. Fi
    August 2nd, 2004 21:57

A Winter Burn 2004? Yes please – I need some warming up right now!

4. Kellie
    August 2nd, 2004 22:51

Actually, that person in Dover PA has been listening to her CDs nearly non stop at the office for the past 2 weeks. They are simply fantabulous!

Thanks for the great listens…the ears are VERY happy!

Back to it :)

5. Kellie
    August 2nd, 2004 22:52

Thanks for the great listens…the ears are VERY happy!

Back to it :)

August 2nd, 2004 23:29

Really? Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Thank you Kellie, that’s so good to hear. I’ll come visit you when your site’s back up (“down for maintenance” currently).

7. Jon
    August 2nd, 2004 23:32

updated for you at……. grump

8. Reg
    August 3rd, 2004 09:27

Well… it looks like quite a good burn to me… apart from the Michelle Gayle, obviously.

9. Dragon
    August 3rd, 2004 09:29

I still haven’t had mine through – although I have had a couple of swapsies through and at least one person liked my mix which is a good thing I’m sure.

10. jo
    August 3rd, 2004 12:15

Mmmmmm, a lot of those are my fave artisits. The Be Good Tanyas and Neko Case are great. I am surprised at no Wilcos, Whiskeytown or Jayhawks. I’m up for Winter now that I have a burner!!