Rant

My mother-in-law has become increasingly hard of hearing over recent years but has refused point blank to consider a hearing aid. She finally gave in and we started the process, only to find that getting one on the NHS was going to be a long, long process and at 85, she ain’t got that long to wait. So we did a bit of research and went private. Do you know how much a pair of custom made hearing aids costs these days?

£2,480. Or 3,561 Euros. 4,325 US$. 6,733 NZ$. 6,086 Aus$.

Still, she needs them. Alarm bells should have rung when she arrived for her first appointment (a £30 return cab fare) to be told that “the computers have broken down so we can’t do the tests”. The computers had been down since early morning, why didn’t someone ring the nursing home to cancel the appointment?

So they were eventually fitted. A short honeymoon period followed but they soon became very uncomfortable and she developed a rash. The nursing home staff rang to make an appointment but keep getting the brush off, the comapny “can’t fit her in”, “it’s the holiday period”, etcetera, etcetera, etcera.

I am so going to kick butt on the phone tomorrow.

9 Responses to “Rant”

1. stroppycow
    August 3rd, 2004 08:23

Did she go analogue or digital ?

2. anan
    August 3rd, 2004 10:08

How simply wretched of these people. It must be difficult to feel your senses closing down with age, and then to have your own sense of witherment increased by a lack of support.

Do these people really think that just because she is advanced in years, she has no need of her faculties? It’s stupidity, pure and simple.

I once (as a nurse’s aide) had to feed a woman of her age who was in a coma and was not expected to live the week. I talked to her and massaged her hands and believe me, she understood.

It’s really not kind to isolate such fragile people. The worse punishment i can think of is to let them go the way of all flesh, until it’s their turn to be ignored.

Bash the bustards one for me, Daisy!!

3. anan
    August 3rd, 2004 10:10

It’s really not kind to isolate such fragile people. The worse punishment i can think of for these bureaucrats is to let them go the way of all flesh, until it’s their turn to be ignored.

Bash the bustards one for me, Daisy!!

August 3rd, 2004 13:32

And what about the poor souls that don’t have someone to kick butt for them? Disgraceful!

5. Kimberly
    August 3rd, 2004 17:09

Righto. I will be expressing you a can of Whoop Ass momentarily. I will follow it with a large box of Smack Down.

I don’t know how it is generally in the UK, but here in the U.S. there is a distinct lack of healers and compassion in the health care industry. It really upsets me.

6. anan
    August 3rd, 2004 18:43

… and then there some of us who have entirely too much to say!!!
    sorry, Daisy

is it true that repeating yourself is a sign of old age?

August 4th, 2004 09:20

Is it true? I wouldn’t know, being such a youngster myself… ;-0)))

Health care and care in general for the elderly is a huge problem and of course going to get worse as the numbers increase. The nursing home she’s now living in is a huge improvement on the previous one, most of the staff really do care for the residents. But there are far too many badly managed homes in the UK where abuse can go undetected.

8. razorhead
    August 4th, 2004 12:07

How much? That is terrible! I speak as one whose hearing is decaying rapidly and have avoided at all costs going to have something done about; perhaps I should joing the queue now.

9. Spicoli
    August 4th, 2004 22:22

Yep. Nothing new. Out of pocket expenses for these devices are outrageous (have two at U.S. $3000 bucks each). Health care industry will never pay either. Can you imagine how much money they’d have to shell out for so many older folks?

I’m 28 with a good enough income that it doesn’t kill me. But I do feel for those on a fixed income. Watch as this becomes even more relevant as the entire baby boomer generation is officially over 70.

Meanwhile, be patient on irritations. I’ve had hearing aids since 10 years old, they went away after a few weeks (or so my parents tell me).