On the plus side…

…there’s the fact that I’ve read more fiction* in the past few days than in the past year (3 a day and rising). And now I’m chuckling at all your comments.

On the minus side there’s the pain. At the risk of offending around 30% of you, I think I might have had a glimpse of the pain involved in childbirth. And many of you have more than one? Sheesh.

Fingers crossed, it seems to be easing a little. It only took two hours to get downstairs this morning and I’ve been able to sit on the sofa, venturing out on little walks across the room without the zimmer (actually, this is more like our homemade version). I’ve got the number of a highly recommended ch*ropracter but she’s away until Tuesday – even if the pain has gone (oh please, please, please), I’ll still make an appointment and get some advice. Might even start gentle yoga. I hear that there’s a good Yoga for Wrinklies class nearby.

* For totally absorbing, pain-forgetting reads, I can recommend this, this and this.

An old joke for you to groan at:

Two Mexicans have been lost in the desert for weeks. At death’s door, they see a tree in the distance. As they get nearer, they see that it’s draped with rasher upon rasher of bacon: smoked bacon, crispy bacon, life-giving nearly-raw juicy bacon, all sorts of bacon. “Hey, Pepe” says the first Mexican, “ees a bacon tree! We’re saved!!” So Pepe goes on ahead and runs up to the tree. As he gets to within five feet, he’s gunned down in a hail of bullets. His friend drops down on the sand and calls across to the dying Pepe. “Pepe!! Pepe!! Que pasa hombre?” With his last breath Pepe calls out, “Ugh, run, amigo, run, ees not a bacon tree, ees a ham bush”.

Q: How many Welsh academics does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Four hundred and one. One to change the bulb and 400 to sit on a committee in Aberystwyth to come up with a word for “filament”.

And finally…

Boom Chicago’s Electronic voting machines in Florida.

12 Responses to “On the plus side…”

1. Lynne
    October 24th, 2004 01:12

yoga is the best and really helps to alleviate back pain.

I suffered from a trapped nerve in my neck for months. I went from doctor to doctor taking pain killers and muscles relaxers.
    Never fixed the problem just hid it.

I took up yoga, and I kid you not, 3 yoga classes 2hrs per class shifted whatever it was bothering me and I’ve been fine since.

Try it, only do as much as you can, you’re not looking to tie your legs in a knot around your neck just a few stretches helps.

2. toni
    October 24th, 2004 06:49

Wow, Daisy, I’m glad you’re up and moving about. Fingers crossed that the chiropractor (or the yoga) does the trick.

I had never been a fan of chiropractors much, but then was thrown from a horse and really hurt my neck and shoulder. Nothing helped. The pain had become excrutiating and I got to the point where I couldn’t do anything (read, sit, drive, work). Finally went to a very good chiropractor, who fixed it in one visit. Never even had to go back. All that suffering! For nothing! Here’s hoping yours is fixed as easily.

3. Anji
    October 24th, 2004 09:32

What dreadful jokes. I’ll have to try them on the kids. I gave birth to the first with backache too. I’ll never understand why I went back for two more. You tend to forget the nasty bits till it’s too late to turn back.

4. briggy
    October 24th, 2004 12:51

well stay in bed and get that man of yours to bring you tea and chocolates!

5. brig
    October 24th, 2004 12:54

i saw Boom Chicago at the edinburgh festival once.

absolutely brilliant by the way.

nd i’m not usually that keen on comedy.

6. Pewari
    October 24th, 2004 19:37

Aw Daisy, sounds horrid :(

Have you thought of going to an osteopath? Apparently, they’re like chiropracters only less painful!!

7. stroppycow
    October 24th, 2004 20:13

Pain killers… good !

8. anni
    October 24th, 2004 20:30

Love the Welsh joke. I wondered what they did about ‘new’ words – I thought it would be like the French with ‘le weekend’ and ‘le football’, but is it really true they have people make up Welsh words?

9. Em
    October 25th, 2004 06:49

Welsh is no different to any other languages as far as choosing new words is concerned – just a lot better organised if we’ve got a committee to do the work rather than wait and see what word ‘takes’.

It tickles me when I get teased about Welsh taking other languages’ words when I doubt that more than 40% or so of English could be traced back to Anglo Saxon origins.

What’s wrong with “ffilament” anyway?

10. Cindy
    October 25th, 2004 18:35

Daisy, I hope you’re up and around and your back is feeling better very, very soon. Do let us know how you’re coming along!

11. anni
    October 25th, 2004 18:52

Wouldn’t that be ddilament?

12. Jann
    October 25th, 2004 19:27

More like ddulymwnt…

Sorry to hear your back’s gone bananas, I hope it doesn’t last too long.

Is the Welsh language another keen example of irritable vowel syndrome?