John Peel

Another sad death, the wonderful John Peel. I’m not sure how well known he is outside of the UK but you can find out more from a thirty minute Front Row tribute [click on “Latest Programme”]. Warm, funny contributions from the likes of Andy Kershaw and Paul Gambuccini.

He will be missed.

8 Responses to “John Peel”

1. stroppycow
    October 26th, 2004 20:36

Home truth won’t be the same.
    Wonder if Sheila will play teenage kicks at his funeral.

2. Armin
    October 26th, 2004 22:28

He is very well known in Germany, especially by anyone who could receive BFBS, but some of his shows were also transmitted by German radio stations. Most of it is too long ago (and I’ve been away from Germany for too long), so I can’t remember all the details. As far as I can tell there are a number of reports in the German press and several German blogs seem to have picked it up as well.

3. Armin
    October 26th, 2004 22:29

4. Armin
    October 26th, 2004 22:31

Ooops, sorry for the double post, my WiFi is playing up.

5. flaming zinc
    October 26th, 2004 22:41

British music will never be the same either. It’s like losing a relative you didn’t talk to enough, I wish I listened to his radio 1 show more.

6. Karan
    October 27th, 2004 01:51

Today National Pubic Radio announced his death, interviewed a few folks who knew him and did a very nice story about his efforts. Teenage Kicks was his favorite song. Now that I know about him, I’m sorry I won’t get to hear his show. :(

7. Huwge
    October 27th, 2004 07:54

25 years of listening, internet radio let me keep in touch. Provocative, alternative, eclectic…

When your heroes start dying you begin to feel old.

8. briggy