A tale of two freezers

On Friday evening our freezer died. The motor went apparently. I just provided the towels to mop up the floor but what happened next was so extraordinary that I had to jot it down.

17:00 Martyn pronounces the freezer dead.
17:15 Put sopping wet towels into washing machine, start wash cycle.
17:16 Think about going to Currys to buy a new freezer. Remember state of bank account.
17:20 Extract local rag from bin, wipe tea leaves and assorted mess from cover and go straight to classified ads.
17:25 Ring likely looking number, discuss height of freezer and price, seller agrees to deliver it in the next half an hour.
17:45 Doorbell rings, freezer man in porch with new reconditioned freezer and trolley. Laughs when he sees our identical trolley and insists he can lift freezer up step without assistance.
17:55 New freezer in place, freezer man is such a nice chap, we discuss replacing bottom oven, he advises cheap alternative. Am in love with freezer man.
18:00 Freezer man leaves with £45. Yep, £45 for a like-new Zanussi freezer.

If you ever need to buy a second hand or reconditioned fridge or freezer in Middlesex/Surrey, email me [chasingdaisyATgmailDOTcom]. I know just the man.

Note to self: the number’s in the drawer of Martyn’s grandfather’s desk. Under the takeaway menus.

10 Responses to “A tale of two freezers”

1. Blue Witch
    November 24th, 2004 17:38

That’s impressive!

November 24th, 2004 18:04

Heh, coming from you bw, that is praise indeed!

3. stroppycow
    November 24th, 2004 19:41

Have you got recipes lined up to try the new oven when freezer man returns?

4. felicity
    November 24th, 2004 20:34

dead freezer to replaced new freezer all within an hour… wow!

5. Mary
    November 24th, 2004 23:07

You must have an appliance fairy godmother. I too have a local gent who refurbishes appliances and delivers them. When my dryer went, I called him and made arrangements for brand, condition and price and he was there same day – not same hour – how marvelous.

6. Keith of R.Electrons
    November 24th, 2004 23:26

Wow! What an amazing adventure! That is fantastic luck!

7. Croila
    November 24th, 2004 23:31

That is absolutely brilliant, what a great deal you got! I got something similar at a car boot sale here in Edinburgh – well, a sort of semi-professional car boot sale, but it was still a really good deal. Stuff paying the full price for something like that!

8. Jann
    November 25th, 2004 13:30

I can’t help thinking that I should wait the post regarding your loathing for the sod that scooted off with your hard-earned readies after dumping on you a freezer that lasted all of 48 hours…

;oP

…and people call me the harbinger of doom?

November 25th, 2004 14:31

You are one mean dude Jann… but yes, the thought had occurred. We shall see ;-0)

10. Jay, web designer
    December 20th, 2004 13:30

Getting a bargain always makes you feel good. Thank you for not hiding the freezer man number in your drawer! It means you are a kind-hearted man!
    Jay, web designer