Stressed out and not feeling very bloggy

I’m learning a new part of an existing software alongside needing to quickly get to grips with this in time for a big new project and it’s not going well and I’m sitting here feeling thick and stupid and tired and… I’ll stop whining right now and point you to the wonderousness of Greg M. Washington’s site and to BBC Radio 4 at 15:30 GMT today, a Maggie O’Farrell short story in this week’s Mind Games series (“five new psychological thrillers: chilling mind games and disturbing tales”). If you can’t get to a radio at that time it’ll be available on that page for the next seven days.

Oh and here’s a little tale that’s starting to make me feel better (from computer stupidities):

Before moving into network support, I did PC support for a large multinational utility company. We had bases all over the country and personnel moves were frequent. There was a software model in use consisting of applications delivered to the desktop using Novell Application Launcher. A user’s ability to run or even see applications depended on membership of Netware groups.

One user had moved sites and had his account moved to a different container. The next Monday, he logged a call to the help desk, saying that he couldn’t see one of his applications any more. Obviously someone had just forgotten to add him to a group in his new location.

My colleague received the following email from a help desk employee:

Simon,
This user has moved from Motherwell to Wrexham and has lost his Landmaster icon. Could it have fallen out of his PC when it was being moved?

9 Responses to “Stressed out and not feeling very bloggy”

1. Croila
    November 26th, 2004 13:13

Repeat after me:

Regards
    From your fan club! :-)

November 26th, 2004 13:25

mwah!

3. Huwge
    November 26th, 2004 17:00

Thick, stupid & tired – that’s how I feel most of the time. I am not sure which of our glorious leaders had the bright idea that you don’t need to rest after a transatlantic flight, but that’s how it is where I work. How are you supposed to concentrate, let alone contribute, at a meeting when you’ve just had a 15 hours on a couple of ‘planes? Am off again Tuesday, so if it’s any consolation you’ve got company :)

I shall drink some gl├╝hwein this weekend and toast you by way of sympathy.

4. anan
    November 26th, 2004 18:44

this is my favourite:

Tech Support: “What seems to be the problem?”
    Customer: “When I change my font sizes, the letters change size.”

my sympathies with the current feel; some of us don’t need a plane to feel stupid, Huwge!

5. Em
    November 26th, 2004 19:54

“DAISY MAY BE TIRED BUT SHE IS NEITHER THICK NOR STUPID”

(Sometimes I’m too easily led astray)

6. Andrea
    November 26th, 2004 20:21

Ooh, a meme. :-)

“DAISY MAY BE TIRED BUT SHE IS NEITHER THICK NOR STUPID”

Uncooperative software sucks ass. It shouldn’t have the power of making us feel so incapable, it really shouldn’t.

7. Stu Savory
    November 27th, 2004 10:56

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

Stu

By the way, you could replace “Neither thick nor stupid” by the apt “PINKISH NORTH CERTITUDE”, which is an anagram.
    But we didn’t need to know that :-)

November 27th, 2004 11:41

pinkish north certitude? You’re right, we really didn’t need to know that Stu ;-0))

*goes off to find anagram generator*

9. Stu Savory