Lentil lasagne

alternatively titled: “Nag, nag, nag, that man’s got more bunny than Safeways”.

Here is… *roll on drums* Emrys‘ recipe for Lentil Lasagne:

Lentil Lasagne (makes 2 large portions)

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
3oz green lentils
1 tbsp chopped parsley
sheets of lasagne (duh!)
seasoning
1 small onion, chopped
1 small carrot, diced
1 tbsp tomato puree
1/4pt vegetable stock
8oz grated cheese

Preparation

• Boil the lentils for 25 minutes to soften.
  • Heat oil in frying pan – add onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
  • Add carrot, cover and cook gently for 3-4 minutes.
  • Add lentils, tomato puree and parsley. Cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes.
  • Stir in the stock and seasoning to taste. Cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes to thicken sauce.
  • Preheat oven to 90 degrees C/Gas Mark 5.
  • Assemble the lasagne: pasta + 1/2 of the lentil sauce + 3/8ths of the grated cheese + pasta + the rest of the lentil sauce + 3/8ths of the grated cheese + pasta + the remaining grated cheese.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked.
  • Eat it and say “Mmmm. Thanks, Fat Man. That was scrummy.”
  • Give money to charity every time you enjoy it.

10 Responses to “Lentil lasagne”

1. Mary
    January 17th, 2005 12:49

Tres hearty, no? That is definitely a meal that would satisfy the men. As for this old lady, I would have to take a very small portion or I would soon be a larger portion.

2. Em
    January 17th, 2005 17:46

Nag? Moi?

I’m hurt.

January 17th, 2005 21:44

Oh I don’t know Mary, I think I could shovel away a good portion of that ;-0)

Grovelling apologies EmĀ² :-0)

4. Mary
    January 17th, 2005 21:46

Well, ok then. I’ll give it a try and let you know.

5. Em
    January 17th, 2005 22:29

I should point out that this is the only vegetarian dish that my dear stepson has (knowingly) eaten and, what’s more, he took a second helping.

There is no greater compliment …

6. girl
    January 18th, 2005 00:16

THAT sounds fantastic. I’ve copied the recipe and will try it this weekend…

But I have a question. It seems like a small amount of ingredients for a lasagne–what size baking dish are you using to cook it?

7. girl
    January 18th, 2005 00:17

And…what exactly is “seasoning”?? I mean, that could be a LOT of things…

8. Em
    January 18th, 2005 10:32

From memory, I think my lasagne dish is about 8″ by 10″.

‘Seasoning’ is just salt and pepper (or whatever else you’d add to a base stock to add flavour).

9. girl
    January 20th, 2005 03:58

Thanks!!

10. GeminiGirl
    January 18th, 2005 00:22

Recipes.

There is a recipe meme floating around, and while I do not have the time to participate at this point, I just need to say… this sounds absolutely fantastic….