Domestic goddess

I made a rice pudding last night. It would have been a lovely winter warming pudding but alas, as I took it from the oven to the counter I tripped slightly on the hem of my trousers and the jolt was enough to cause the contents of the dish to gloop forward and out of the bowl. All over the floor. The dogs were delighted of course. While I had a flashback to the time I fainted on the school bus. We’d all made rice pudding in cookery class and stored them carefully in those baskets (ladies of a certain will remember these) and dashed for the bus. As always, it was jam packed full so we stood on the open platform at the bottom of the steps, dodging the paper pellets being thrown by the boys from upstairs.

Next thing I know I’m being gently moved to an upright position and a sea of faces is peering down, apparently trying to clock a glimpse down the front of my school shirt.

And there’s a river of rice pudding the length of the bus.

I never liked nutmeg anyway.

Is this is a(nother) sign of rapidly approaching old age, that I can remember things that happened 28 years ago more clearly than what I had for breakfast yesterday? Oh Lord…

14 Responses to “Domestic goddess”

1. susan
    January 22nd, 2005 21:19

Love it, and thanks for sharing. Since you’re being honest, I’ll tell you about the time I had my prospective father-in-law over for dinner and bounced the roast beef from the oven and into the dog dish. Did I wash it off and serve it? I won’t tell.

2. Jane
    January 22nd, 2005 21:40

That reminds me of the time I made a huge pan of peach cobbler for a holiday dinner. I drove 1/2 hour to my sister’s house without incident, then DROPPED THE PAN on the street as I was getting out of the car. At least half of the cobbler dumped out and I was so mad at myself that I jumped up and down in the street like Rumpelstiltskin, cursing up a storm.

3. Mary
    January 22nd, 2005 22:30

Then there was the time I made a lemon meringue pie as it was my father-in-law’s favorite. I had placed the pie on top of the fridge to cool, forgotten it was there and when I opened the fridge door – one whole gloopy pie landed in my face. I still laugh thinking of that from 30 years past.

January 22nd, 2005 22:52

Hah! Now you’ve reminded me of the time I cooked Christmas dinner for 15 (friends in Belgium who weren’t able to go home to their native countries for the holiday) – we clubbed together to buy a huge turkey, I got up at 6 to put it in the oven… only to find that it wouldn’t fit. I mean, it was twice as big as the oven.

I found a saw in the basement, spent an hour sawing the bird in half and then somehow managed to wedge both halves in. The oven only stayed shut when I wedged a broom between it and two chairs which in turn were wedged against the wall.

I think we finally at at about 10 that night!

5. e
    January 23rd, 2005 11:03

Maybe you hd rice pudding for breakfast, which triggered a proustian moment of reminiscence?

6. jo
    January 23rd, 2005 14:12

The famous dish in my family is chicken under glass created quite accidently by Mom. It was crunchy.
    Okay I have 24 inches of snow outside my back door and the cell that is passing through for the next two hours is dropping 8″ and hour. An HOUR!
    I think I need the rice pudding recipe please. I remember you published it once and cooks int he oven for a long time. Perfect for being snowed in.

January 23rd, 2005 14:23

8″ an hour???? Will you be able to get out of the house? And I was whinging about the cold here. Am suitably chastised ;-)

I don’t think I’ve posted my recipe but stroppy cow’s lovely recipe for tougoule is here

And here’s my recipe for old fashioned rice pudding.

Put:
    5 heaped desert spoons pudding rice
    4 desert spoons sugar
    2 pints (1 litre) semi skimmed milk (if you have c 100ml of single cream in the fridge, add this – makes it lovely and creamy)
    into a large shallow bowl

Sprinkle freshly ground nutmeg (or dried) over the top, along with 4-5 small knobs of butter
    Bake for 1.5-2 hours at 170 degrees celsius (325 degrees fahrenheit or gas mark 3).

Serve in large bowls with a small dollop of raspberry jam. Mmmm…..

8. cindy
    January 23rd, 2005 15:05

I did the same thing once with a delicious pot of Gumbo I had just finished (I’m from Louisiana). I was enough to make a grown woman cry baby tears.

9. Em
    January 23rd, 2005 17:59

How’s that recipe PDF coming along, Daisy – I’m getting really hungry now!

10. stroppycow
    January 23rd, 2005 18:16

I knew there was a reason why I should get a dog.

January 23rd, 2005 23:14

Cindy, I don’t suppose you’d like to share your recipe for Gumbo? I’ve been meaning to make one for a while now.

Sorry EmĀ² – got involved in work. Recipe colllection is in “advanced draft” stage, hope to finish it tomorrow night. No, I WILL finish it tomorrow night. There you go. Commitment. Shudder.

Stroppycow – you’re right, keeping dogs is the most efficient way to clean a floor I know of ;-)

12. cassie-b
    January 24th, 2005 11:49

Possibly you should try a different desert next time. Somthing that comes out of the oven a little less sloshy than rice pudding.

13. Paul
    January 24th, 2005 18:52

Old age and gravity are gaining on every human being even the many among us who deny the facts. Plastic surgeons cannot stop the inevitable ! :)

14. chasingdaisy.com » Blog Archive » More f(b)logging of a dead haddock
    January 25th, 2006 15:13

[…] So a repeat of the (in)famous haddock, leek and potato chowder recipe is in the extended post and I’ll be haunting your blogs on Friday asking for your favourite recipes. Jo, Huwge and Allan – look out! […]