Happy St Dwynwen’s Day

A medieval portrait of St Dwynwen

25 January is St Dwynwen’s Day throughout Wales, patron saint of friends and lovers. Sort of like St Valentine’s day but better :-0)

I think Dwynwen would have been tickled pink at her name being used as an opportunity to wish virtual friends the happiest of days. January is nearly over and then we can start looking forward to Spring. At least in this hemisphere. Apologies to friends elsewhere in the world who have it all upside down…

p.s. It would have been nice to offer the receipe exchange today but it’s still in “advanced draft” form, sitting untouched and unloved on my hard disk since Saturday night because of horrible deadlines and the need to get 4 hours sleep a night. Fingers crossed I’ll be able to switch back to it tomorrow.

17 Responses to “Happy St Dwynwen’s Day”

1. celia blue
    January 25th, 2005 12:56

Cool holiday. I think I’ll make some rice crispie treats to celebrate. what could be more friendly . . . and easier? I’m glad that there are no cards, as of yet, that I’m required to send. I like my holidays, like whisky, neat.

2. Katherine
    January 25th, 2005 12:58

Definitely better than Valentines day!

3. Mary
    January 25th, 2005 14:04

How is Dwynwen pronounced? Will check the internet to see if I can find a wav. But, nonetheless, happy St. Dwynwen day to all the lovers out there – lovers of one another and lovers of peace.

4. brig
    January 25th, 2005 20:31

she has eyeballs to kill for!

5. razorhead
    January 25th, 2005 20:47

I’d pronounce Dwynwen as d’win-wen, but stand to be corrected.

She’s also a patron saint of pets, which is nice. More info here

6. Em
    January 25th, 2005 21:54

You can sit down now, Razorhead. <grin>

That said, I’m desperately trying to wrack my brains for an english word that includes the “wy” vowel sound from the first syllable (both letters being properly considered vowels in Welsh).

[20 minute later] The closest I can think of is when I’ve heard people pronounce “buoy” as “booie”, so would suggest that Dwynwen is pronounced “Dooine-wen”, but with the “oo” very short.

Does that make sense?

January 25th, 2005 23:45

Perfect sense, thanks EmĀ². I’d forgotten about the pets, cheers razor.

Celia, cards are available but as far as I know they’re only on sale in Wales and Welsh communities overseas (I saw mention of them in Boulder, Colorado). I do like that turn of phrase, “I like my holidays, like whisky, neat.” Heh.

8. Mary
    January 26th, 2005 01:01

Thanks to all who helped with the pronunciation and Emrys for the wav. I never would have guessed. I’m a pro now.

9. Paul
    January 26th, 2005 03:27

Bore da! is Welsh for Good Morning and Noswaith da is Welsh for Good Afternoon. :)

10. Em
    January 26th, 2005 06:18

Sorry, Paul, but Prynhawn Da (P’nawn Da) is Good Afternoon. Noswaith Da is Good Evening (while Nos Da is Good Night).

Someone should create a webpage for learners

11. Huwge
    January 26th, 2005 06:35

I think Em nailed the pronounciation – I had such a crush on a Dwynwen when I was a kiddie. Ah, happy days!

12. briggy
    January 26th, 2005 08:55

anything come of it huwge?

or was the age difference just too great?

13. Huwge
    January 26th, 2005 12:05

Not telling :-P

14. Em
    January 26th, 2005 18:22

Not telling? She’d been dead for 1,500 years when you were a youngster, Huwge. Surely that would put quite a crimp on any relationship?

15. briggy
    January 27th, 2005 10:50

yeh Em.

but still able to outrun our huwge apparently!

16. Huwge
    January 27th, 2005 11:43

I see the worm, I sense the hook…
    *swims back to bottom of lake*

17. Paul
    January 27th, 2005 23:31

I have some ancestors from Bardsey Island -Ynys Enlli in Welsh which is off the coast of north Wales.