A while back Dosali posted her answers to this music meme and handed the baton over. And of course I went awol soon after but it’s a good ‘un so here we go.
1. Total amount of music files on your computer:
Not that many to be honest. I love finding new music (mostly via Huwge, Jo and Briggy) but the temptation to then buy the cd is overwhelming and threatens the no-spend policy. Course, now I have a bunch of Amazon vouchers burning a hole in my pocket so I’m checking the list of “Books and music I must have before I die”. My shopping basket “save for later” section is currently 220 pages long. Decisions, decisions!
2. The last CD you bought was:
I very guiltily exchanged a Christmas gift from my parents (Rod Stewart) for the new Joss Stone and Accoustic Rock.
3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message?
Does the theme tune to the Archers count? I missed last night’s episode so heard it on Listen Again.
4. Write down
5 10 lots of songs that you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.
– The Jam, Start [but any track involving Paul Weller will do]. The
last time one and only time I was trendy, introducing The Jam to the sixth form common room.
– The Police, Roxanne. From the first few bars I’m transported back to school days. They released a limited edition pack of singles on blue vinyl. I treasured that pack but *blush* they came a cropper one day in a fit of adolescent rage. The record player sat on a wheeled trollley in my bedroom. I shoved the trolley hard, not realising that the pack was spread out under the wheels.
– Barbra Streisand, Brezairola [listen to a clip here]. No reason, just love the entire cd. I should give away the vinyl LP version but don’t know anyone with a record player now.
– Sam Brown, Stop. Reminds me of best friend Nina. We used to sing it on smoke breaks, hiding on the freezing cold backstairs of our building.
– Damian Rice, The Blower’s Daughter [an aside: why does Amazon.com have more track samples than Amazon.co.uk?]
– Percy Sledge, When a man loves a woman.
– Elkie Brooks, Pearl’s a singer. Just love this song.
– Through the grapevine, Marvin Gaye
– Handbags And Gladrags, Stereophonics
– Charles Trenet, Boum
– Hen wlad fy nhadau (the Welsh national anthem)/Calon Lan/Sosban Fach/Men of Harlech/any Welsh song sung by a rugby crowd. And bless the BBC for putting these video clips online.
5. Who are you going to pass this stick to? (3 persons) and why?
Well I think everyone has done this now but if you haven’t, then I’d love to hear your selections.