Quote of the day #30

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment. Cleverness is mere opinion. Bewilderment brings intuitive knowledge”
— Jalal Al-Din Rumi, 1207-1273

I’m 50% of the way there then.

6 Responses to “Quote of the day #30”

1. celia blue
    February 21st, 2005 18:42

You know I’ve seen that quote before, and I don’t get it. Yes, I know, I’m a retard, but still . . . what am I supposed to take away from it? Please help me.

February 21st, 2005 19:51

Well I think you could take it at least two ways – first that it’s taking a dig at those who set themselves up as experts, ready to opine at the drop of a hat; secondly that it’s good to put to one side what we think we know, put ourselves in unfamiliar waters and see what we can learn.

Anyone else?

3. Em
    February 21st, 2005 21:42

Well I think that … hang on – I’ve made the Daily Reads list! Woo!!

February 21st, 2005 21:48

Commitment above and beyond the call methinks ;-)

I was about to write a quick post to say that I haven’t deleted the rest of the blogrolls, they’re just waiting to be added when I’ve got more stuff sorted. And besides, it stops me wandering off and getting distracted when I should be working on the redesign. Not that I’m weak-willed or anything…

5. Mary
    February 22nd, 2005 13:14

I am over-flowing with bewilderment on a daily basis. Very little makes logical sense, so must rely upon intuitive sense – just wrestling the demons to the ceiling kind of thing.

6. celia blue
    February 22nd, 2005 21:25

Thx for explaining it to me. Clearly I’m good at not knowing and being in unfamiliar waters. Let’s just hope that I can learn!