Don’t fiddle with it late at night

the style sheet that is. Why, what did you think I meant? I can see what’s wrong with the paragraph tags in Explorer but am puzzling over the placement of the banner graphic in Firefox. Plans are to finish early today in order to shout at websites rather than clients. But the thought of running the dogs in the snow is very appealing so maybe I’ll hold fire until the weekend.

I’m taking all of your help on board (thank you!) and I’m beginning to see that pixeldiva‘s advice to put as much presentational content in the style sheet as possible will mean really changing the TypePad template. Gulp. For example, the banner information is all in the main index page but I’m guessing that I should move that to the stylesheet.

One thing I can’t work out how to do (and I think this is a question specifically for TypePad users rather than MT users) is how to add some text to the comment box – just a line saying something like “Basic html tags can be used: < b >, < i >“. Does anyone know how to do that? Done! You need to add the code to the Individual Archives rather than the main index archive. Duh.

. . .

In other news: I’m still shuddering at this “interesting” kitchen product via Adrian but chuffed to bits with ExplorerXP, a tabbed file browser [via Gordon and Hanni]. The only thing I’d like to add is the ability to view thumbnails but I guess we’ve got other tools for that. Basically it’s what Windows Explorer should be but never will be. Oh and it’s free. Wheee! Also just bookmarked PIE‘s Common Coding Problems with HTML and CSS

And how many hours is it now to the start of the Wales v France game? :-0)

18 Responses to “Don’t fiddle with it late at night”

1. e
    February 25th, 2005 11:40

wow! There’s you at the top, non?

February 25th, 2005 11:47

Alas no! It’s a picture from i-stock, not yet bought. I’ve a shortlist of 6 or so but can’t decide which to use.

Or if I should get my butt down to the coast on the next non rugby weekend and take some of my own.

Nah, I’ll use the i-stock ones, much better quality!

3. briggy
    February 25th, 2005 12:28

*nods*

sage advice.

i’ll warn the boys!

4. Lynne
    February 25th, 2005 13:02

If you still need help with banner placement I’ll take a gander at it this afternoon. I don’t know anything about typepad, but I can find my way around a style sheet.

February 25th, 2005 13:16

Good luck to Scotland too Briggy. You never know…

Thank you Lynn! I’m hoping to fix it solo but as a css newbie am still struggling with selectors let alone the joys of cross browser positioning so I could well be writing a “weeping and wailing” post by tomorrow ;-)

6. pixeldiva
    February 25th, 2005 13:27

The banner thing is probably something to do with a semi-secret style in typepad which puts 15px worth of padding round any banner image.

Drove me bonkers for ages until I figured it out and worked out a way to work around it.

If I had half a brain at the moment I’d tell you what I did to get round it but unfortunately I can’t remmeber right now.

It is quite complex to fudge the template builder stuff to make it work, which is why I wound up going away from typepad and back to MT – I liked typepad for the ease of use of the template builder, but when I found myself going custom with every rebuild, it became not worth it and I found myself missing the flexibility and power of full blown MT and it’s plugins.

February 25th, 2005 13:55

15px worth of padding round any banner image:

Checking the style sheet I see –

#banner {
    font-family: ‘Lucida Grande’, Verdana, sans-serif;
    color: #003366;
    background-color: ##648e9d;
    text-align: center;
    padding: 15px;

Will have a go at changing that right now, will let you know if it works.

8. Lynne
    February 25th, 2005 13:56

define the header in your css

This is how mine is defined. You can fiddle around with the width and height of course, depending on how big the graphic is going to be.

#header {
    width: 460px;
    height: 438px;
    background: url(/journal/wp-images/head4.jpg);
    margin-left: 163px;
    position: relative;
    }

then in the htm part of the doc I have this.
    < h1 id=”header”><

9. a href=”http://cariadsrealm.net/journal”><

/a><

/h1>
    Which makes the top part of my graphic a link.

IF you download the developers extension for firefox, you’ll be able to see my entire css file, and actually play around with it and see my page alter.

If you’re looking at the raw code of this comment, ignore the <

/li> I just put them in so the code would show up in the post.

February 25th, 2005 13:58

position: relative;

words to strike fear into the heart of any css struggler, along with “float” and “z-index”…

Thanks Lynne, will sneak a quick test in right now.

February 25th, 2005 14:03

Wheeeeeee!

Now to move the code from the index to the stylesheet.

The dogs might like to duck for cover at this point.

12. Lynne
    February 25th, 2005 14:04

I’m not an expert, but the developers extension (web developer 0.8) has really helped me with css. You can play around with the css of your page without actually saving it, and see how things change right there in the browser window when you alter stuff like position, font size, colour etc.

February 25th, 2005 14:08

Absolutely – I’ve only really been using it to check the site in 800×600 resolution and a few other things but now that I’m (slowly) starting to know css it’s proving invaluable.

14. pixeldiva
    February 25th, 2005 14:21

Just a tip – the Web Developer toolbar for firefox is now up to version 0.9.3 and while not available through the firefox extensions site can be got straight from the horse’s mouth at http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/webdeveloper/

February 25th, 2005 14:25

Ahah! Thanks pix, done and currently admiring :-)

16. Lynne
    February 25th, 2005 14:27

Let me know if you need any more help. You know quite a bit about webdesign, so I’m sure you’ll be able to figure it out.

I have a friend who frequents this forum and she’s helped me a lot in recent weeks tidying up my css file. I’m constantly messing it up.
    It doesn’t take long for her to answer a question I put in there.

17. Lynne
    February 25th, 2005 14:29

I didn’t know that either. Thanks. heh, I just downloaded the 0.8 to my laptop so I didn’t have to go in the basement to check your site on my main machine :/

18. Katherine
    February 25th, 2005 18:04

Aw, I wanted the photo to be of you and your family with the dogs, I might pretend.

That kitchen implement could go very well with PMT!

19. Em
    February 27th, 2005 22:01

Oh dear me no … the darkness! the darkness!