Yes I know it’s broken

and I should have stopped when I was tired but there you go. So here’s what I need to fix pronto:

1. < li > in the sidebar
  2. Posts aren’t displaying any dates. Goodness knows what I did there.
    – Thanks Jann.
  3. The text “Posted by Daisy at 10:52 PM in” is still a funny grey
    – thanks Em.
  4. There’s a purple-ish border showing around the banner in IE6.

Anything else broken?

In the meantime, a quick link: She blocked me by Bob Ricci.

11 Responses to “Yes I know it’s broken”

1. Em
    February 28th, 2005 06:55

1. Looks ok to me – is it the line spacing you don’t care for? If so, it’s the line-height: 50% in “.sidebar li” that’s doing this.
    2. There’s an empty <a href= … link at the top of each post so I assume that the post date should appear there? Now that I mention it, there are a couple of nested <DIV>s at the top of the page (div id=”banner-img” and div class=”img-link”) that are empty too.
    3. It’ll be the “.content p.posted” CSS where color is set to #999999 (or “funny grey” to give it its proper name).
    4. That’s a bit of an oddity. I can see that .content has a border assigned, but not #banner. Sorry.

2. Em
    February 28th, 2005 06:56

Oops – should have said “line-height:150%” – I’ve got a stiff “1” on my keyboard.

Hang on, that sounds rude …

February 28th, 2005 08:56

1. No I’m okay with the 150% line spacing for accessibility reasons, it’s those damn bullets I’m trying to get rid of. I want to just have the blogroll items have a bullet (to be a fancy schmancy arrow gif)

2. Will check that now.

3. Done! Ta muchly.

4. ‘Tis a bit odd eh? Will dig a bit deeper.

Comment #2 – saucy!

Thanks Em.

4. Jann
    February 28th, 2005 10:01

Set the border to zero for your banner image and set list-style to none for the nav?

5. Neil T.
    February 28th, 2005 11:25

You need to use style=”border:0″ instead of border=”0″ – the latter is ‘old skool’ HTML and doesn’t work in XHTML.

You might also want to put the width and height numbers in quote marks, ie width=”700″ height=”173″ , since that’s the proper way to do it :)

6. Em
    February 28th, 2005 12:06

Whatever you’ve done, Daisy, this latest version looks great* on my PDA!

* apart from the red-on-black sidebar

7. Andrea
    February 28th, 2005 14:32

Hmm. Have you tried playing with the ‘img’ and ‘a’ selectors in your stylesheet? Like

#banner a img {border:0}

or somesuch? That *should* tell IE not to put a border around images that are links. Um, if all else fails.

You know that there’s no banner on the individual post pages, right?

Just being ever so helpful. ;-)

February 28th, 2005 16:16

Thanks chaps/chapettes, will try these tonight. Em, not sure about the red on black version on your PDA – whereabouts is that?

9. Em
    February 28th, 2005 18:14

The background colour doesn’t show in the sidebar on the PDA but content’s fine so I wouldn’t worry about it.

10. e
    March 1st, 2005 21:34

huh? Me no understandee.

I just got someone else to do it all for me.

March 2nd, 2005 01:51

Ah but then you’ve nothing to blame the grey hair on.

Hang on: teaching, 3 children, a transatlantic move, an MA.

I take it back!