Gently does it

Isn’t it funny how awkward it is to get back in the swing of blogging after a break? I’ve been sitting here with oodles of links to share but unable to string a sentence together. Best thing is to just dive right in so here goes.

Andrea continues to post a lovely mix of geekery and literary (geeklit?) such as this poem by Yehuda Amichai, translated from the Hebrew by Chana Bloch.

Anan and her fellow authors are writing up a storm over at ode.a-blog while Jo has picked up Blackbird’s meme “show and tell” and posted pictures of bookcases throughout the house. Don’t you just love seeing photos of books like this? Which reminds me of this useful little tool, the single sheet cutter.

Jo has also introduced me to the music of Amos Lee so I’m busy shuffling things in and out of my Amazon shopping basket in order to include it while I spend the remainder of my birthday vouchers.

I’m half tempted to ask for a refund – once again they appear to have lost a shipment. I ordered a book on 6 April that was despatchable “in 24 hours”. I chose super saver to save on postage so it should have been here by the 11th at the latest. I finally got round to ringing them today (well, yesterday, the 18th) only to be told that “if it doesn’t arrive by Wednesday give us a ring back and we’ll chase it.” Excuse me? I used to love getting Amazon vouchers but lately their prices have been going up (each time I check my shopping basket I get notification that at least one of the stored items have shot up in price) and customer service has gone downhill. It’s not the love-fest it used to be.

By the way, if you need the closely guarded secret that is the Amazon customer services number for the UK it’s 0800 279 6620 (open from 08:00 to 18:00).

And besides, who needs books when you have hugely funny posts like this from Mary? Or rebelling against the hokey-pokey from Celia? Or any of Mark’s wierdly wonderful offerings? Then of course there’s Harriet’s deeply satisfying snippets of London life and Briggy’s wonderful writing (and a yummy redesign!).

You want more? How about Drew, readjusting to the move from New Zealand back to London?

You know, ‘twould be quicker if I just pointed you in the direction of the sidebar. Have fun.

6 Responses to “Gently does it”

1. briggy
    April 19th, 2005 09:37

but we like to imagine you saying all this stuff without drawing breath daisy… more fun than pointing to ur sidebar.

2. Andrea
    April 19th, 2005 17:54

4:17 AM, Daisy? Tisk, tisk, tisk.

As briggs said, the sidebar is no fun without your pointers, really. But don’t feel pressured or anything. ;-)

3. Gert
    April 20th, 2005 08:40

I might need that number. They sent me a DVD last week that I played and it was flat. I mean so flat that it sounded way flat to my crude ears. I subsequently found out that something went wrong with the transfer eg it’s at 4:3 ration, not the more or less 16:9 at which it was filmed. HMV have sent all their stock back and removed it from their database, a month ago, so I’m not too pleased that Amazon sent me a product known to be faulty. I don’t think merely returning it and asking for a refund will be sufficient.

4. David
    April 20th, 2005 13:15

Regarding the Amazon freephone number: find alternative, and usually free, numbers for lots and lots of companies over at saynoto0870.com. Has come in very handy the last couple of days!

5. Michael
    April 21st, 2005 17:15

I ordered some items from Amazon a few weeks ago and it said–oh they will ship within 24 hours. If by 24 hours you meant three days later. Apparently they are using a different measurement of time than I am or else I missed a memo about how time has stopped running at the rate I’m used to and moved to a new rate of movement.

6. anan
    April 22nd, 2005 09:13

Thanks for the mention, Daisy. Yer welcome by for a tea anytime! (pssst… check is in the mail!)