Ch ch changes

I’ve thrown off the shackles of 1&1 hosting, transferred to a new host* and signed up with godaddy for domain registration**.

This means that I’ll no longer get emails addressed to Mr Daisy and -more worryingly- be addressed as Mr Daisy when I phone their “support” desk. I don’t have a deep, sexy voice (alas!) and *looks down* have a fine pair of bosoms so I don’t know why they have for three long years ignored all pleas to update their database.

Anyway, this blog is still hosted with TypePad and will continue to be until December this year but the grand plan is to create a Movable Type and/or WordPress blog on that hosting, see which I prefer and then have chasingdaisy.com as the main url. Or maybe .net.

But I’ll soon (this weekend hopefully) be attempting a domain mapping exercise that’ll mean typing in the .com url (or the .net) will lead you straight to this blog.

There’s an excellent how-to by donnum on the typepad users forum but I have my suspicions that there will be hitches so if I disappear suddenly this weekend, you’ll know why. And *best Arnie impersonation* “I’ll be back”.

_______________
* In beta at the moment but I’ll post details when they’re open to the public because the prices and support are excellent.

** Because they’re one of the TypePad recommended registrars for domain mapping.

6 Responses to “Ch ch changes”

1. Cindy
    April 23rd, 2005 20:44

Daisy,

I’m interested to know why you left 1&1. My blogs are hosted by them and I’ve yet to encounter any problems. What made you move?

2. Cindy
    April 23rd, 2005 20:45

p.s. outside of they’re ignoring your requests – which I find really surprising… (not that I’m defending them – I’m not.)

April 23rd, 2005 23:36

Cindy, I think the US service is better (and cheaper) than the British one. The package I signed up for a long time back (when I thought blogging was going to be a 2 week fad, I really wanted to create a website about dogs, ha!) was cheap but didn’t include any of the prerequisites for an MT install (MySQL database, etc.). By the time I realised I wanted an MT blog and the prerequisites for that, to add those on would have cost oodles more so I stayed with TypePad. But I’ve been playing with a WordPress installation for a friend this past couple of weeks and I’m a bit smitten.

Now whether I’ll be able to port all this stuff into a WordPress setup is another matter. More importantly, what do do about the comments (I would cry buckets if I had to lose the comments all over again) but I’ll look into that next week and if moving to Movable Type allows me to import everything while WordPress doesn’t, then I’ll go for MT. I think. Actually the hosting comes with cPanel and Fanstastico (bear with me, all this terminology is new to me) and I can install a number of blog softwares at the click of a button: b2evolution, Nucleus, pMachine Free, and WordPress plus content management systems: Drupal, Geeklog, Mambo Open Source, PHP-Nuke, phpWCMS, phpWebSite, Post-Nuke, Siteframe, Typo3 and Xoops.

So (finally) to answer your question, I’m switching from 1&1 because of I don’t like the interface, the billing system and the ‘phone support. And they write to me as Mr Daisy. That’ll show ’em :-0)

A chap on a forum I frequent is going into the hosting business and ran an introductory offer to forumites with oodles of space, bandwidth, unlimited MySQL databases and up to 20 domain names. A gal would be mad to turn it down ;-)

4. Croila
    April 24th, 2005 01:37

Daisy, I’m quite surprised you’re leaving 1&1: I have another site with them which I’ve had for two years, and I’m also going to port my own blog over from Typepad to 1&1 (using WordPress) within the next two or three weeks.

I admit their interface isn’t the best ever, but I’ve always found their customer support very good on the rare occasions I’ve had to use it.

Another thing that reassures me about them is their sheer size – put it this way, I’d feel happier that my stuff is hosted with a massive international company with sophisticated back-up procedures than it being with someone who is just “going into the hosting business”.

Sorry, that’s not a criticism or your decision to move; it’s probably just me being paranoid, but I must say their size is one of their attractions for me.

Interesting to hear what you say though, and I hope it works out fine for you. Looking forward to seeing your new home! :-)

5. Morgaine
    April 24th, 2005 03:07

If you need any help with Word Press, I’ll gladly try and help out. As for hosting, I’m happy the server of my host isn’t situated in the US.

6. razorhead
    April 24th, 2005 16:04

You do realise that I will never, ever, be able to think about you now, without mentally checking myself not to call you Mr Daisy. I don’t think it’ll work.