Moving’ in

Effective immediately I’ll be blogging here instead of over there.

Why so suddenly Daise?
If I’d have known how easy it was going to be I’d have done it a darn sight sooner. Kudos to:

1. The WordPress Codex, especially this page.
  2. The connections template by Patricia Müller at Vanilla Mist the reflections template from Clemens. I found a scribbled drawing under my desk of a layout I was planning to do a while back, thought about trying to recreate it in WordPress, fainted, came to and went googling for a three column layout. And this one’s perfect. It might even include a sideblog. But for now it’ll be thumbnails to great sites.
  3. The TypePad export feature (unbelievably good, even the comments have exported). Graphics are quite another matter however. It’s long been a bugbear of mine (and many other TypePad pro users) that we have no overall access to our files. This was brought home to me when I needed to download all of the graphics from the old site. After querying it with TypePad support (nope, there’s no way to do it), I had to use HTTrack to download the whole site. Unbelievable.
  4. Dudehost for being very cheap and very friendly.

Why are you moving?
Well, the TypePad subscription is up for renewal in December and I can’t justify the cost of another year, much as I’d love to. I have no qualms about using a service some dismiss as being “for aunt mabel types who wouldn’t be able to manage their own blog” [expletive deleted]. Having a hosted blog, especially at Pro level just leaves me more time for other things. But I had the hosting, the knowledge and a circle of wise brains to pick so on a spur-of-the-moment whim this evening I just upped and did it.

What’s next then?
I’ve exported all the text from over there but the graphics (*gulp*, hundreds of them) are currently still linking back to the TypePad site so I need to sort that out or have lots and lots of blank spaces when it dies in December. There’s also quite a bit of behind the scene stuff to do and I’d like to customize this template so it feels a bit more like home.

I’ll try and clear those things up as quickly as possible because I’m keen to pick up on the accessible blogging templates idea with PixelDiva but in the meantime, it’s back to blogging I guess.

But first I think it’s time for a celebratory pot of tea, no?

15 Responses to “Moving’ in”

1. pixeldiva
    October 12th, 2005 04:58

I’ll drink to that! (although with hillbilly tea, rather than the kind that needs hot water) :)

October 12th, 2005 05:53

*hic*, here’s to *hic* moonshine and roses ;-)

Lordy, do I have smilicons automagically appearing?

October 12th, 2005 05:55

Now there’s a thought, what happens to them in screenreaders?

*scribbles note to check up on this*

4. e
    October 13th, 2005 01:10

I think an entire clafoutis and a spoon should be penance enough. Putting one in the post now. Should be nice and ripe by the time you get it…

5. e
    October 13th, 2005 01:10

Dman. Comment ended up under wrong post. Sorry.

October 13th, 2005 01:56

Mmmmmmmm, yes please!

7. Richard
    October 13th, 2005 02:06

Nice look to the new site. :-) Or “colon hyphen right-bracket” as a screen reader would have it…

8. Patricia
    October 13th, 2005 02:59

Hi, Daisy, just a quick note to let you know that I was here. I hope you’re enjying the theme. :-)

9. Patricia
    October 13th, 2005 02:59

ops, enjOying… ;-)

10. Alison
    October 13th, 2005 03:02

Wahhh! You are giving me ideas, woman!

11. Alison
    October 13th, 2005 03:03

And of course I hit send before saying that I like this new look of yours. [insert self-deprecating eyeroll here]

October 13th, 2005 04:42

I am indeed, thank you Patricia.

Thank you Alison, it’s lovely to see you again :-) Can’t wait to pop over and catch up on all your news.

This template is lovely isn’t it? I’m going to spend a wee while settling in (I need the blogroll back!) before setting to work with the paintbrush. Patricia has created a lovely foundation to work with but I’d like to get some nice warm reds in for the autumn season :-)

Richard and I have had an email conversation about the smilies in terms of accessibility, more later. I need my bed!

13. Stuart
    October 14th, 2005 01:31

Pretty!
    It looks brilliant!

14. Daisy's Stalker
    October 18th, 2005 23:55

Yay! WordPress 4tw!

Must do something about my template.

15. Daisyhead
    October 23rd, 2005 02:08

Another Daisy! Don’t you just absolutely adore WordPress?? I think the new place looks spiffy. I look forward to reading your blog.