One thing fixed, 324 left to go

Eagle-eyed readers will have spotted that there is no longer an odd red bar (Firefox) nor a big red box (Internet Explorer) when you move the mouse over the big banner picture there at the top.

[Now for the boring bit unless you’re fascinated with css.]

I was perplexed because I was sure that at some stage (late at night) I’d added a border in that red colour (#990000) but I went through the css with a fine toothcomb and could find nothing. Then inspiration struck and I realised that it was a hover effect causing the red bar/box.

I’m still at the stage where I have to check css code, especially when it means having one set of links behave differently to another, so I pulled out Rachel Andrew’s excellent book, The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks. It took less than a second scan the index, straight to pages 7 and 8 for a revision of contextual selectors and bingo, it’s fixed.

Big beaming smiles all round.

I’ve tested in Firefox, IE and Opera on Windows, if anything’s broken where you are, could you let me know?

Next steps: reduce width of the layout so that viewers with 800×600 displays don’t have to scroll horizontally (sorry about that) and set the content column (this one) to flexible width so that it resizes.

I’ve a small black and white dog at my feet at the minute, saying a big thank you to everyone for their good wishes. She’s feeling a lot better, can climb the stairs and jump on the bed now but… just a minute, she’s whispering… oh, one of those special doggie chocolates from the tin on the top shelf would make your bad leg feel a lot better would it? Okay, let’s go get one…

Night, night.

9 Responses to “One thing fixed, 324 left to go”

1. Mary
    December 8th, 2005 04:34

Soo happy to hear all is well in doggie land. Sleep well.

December 8th, 2005 11:12

Thank you Mary, I slept really well and the mutt continues to improve in leaps and bounds (literally!).

3. jo
    December 8th, 2005 14:38

Yay, puppy is better! I stress out every time the pooper hurts her shoulder or her leg. I think she mostly does it jumping off the bed wrong. We’ve put an intermediate step for her to use, but sometimes she just gets to excited or forgets and jumps down and bounds around. Sometimes we all need to remember that we aren’t kids anymore.
    Treats always make them feel better…

4. Richard
    December 8th, 2005 22:05

Regarding resizing the content column:

One thing to bear in mind is that the optimum width for a column of text is about 80 characters. Have a column wider than that and you can find you have to move your head to read it, not just your eyes. This makes it uncomfortable to read. So be wary of resizing content columns, as you may be causing problems for those of us with high screen resolutions.

However, setting the width of a column in em units means it will resize if people increase the text size in their browser. This is more desirable.

That said, anyone who habitually changes text size whilst browsing should use the Opera browser, as the zoom facility far surpasses that of other browsers.

December 9th, 2005 01:26

Thank you Richard! I’ve some notes scribbled down somewhere about that very subject (max width comes to mind but I’ll have to check)

I hate reading longer lines too and have been known to copy and paste text into an offline programme so that I can read it more easily. Sometimes just printing to pdf works too, depending on if and how they’ve set up the print stylesheet.

But I’ll be sure to test and ask for plenty of advice and feedback as I go along :-)

6. Vickie
    December 9th, 2005 01:43

Glad to hear puppy is improving. Don’t we all crave chocolate treats? It’s a good thing – good on many levels.

Leaving you many hugs and sweet thoughts, dear Daisy!

7. Gordon
    December 9th, 2005 13:32

So glad all is better in CSSland! ;-)

OK OK, doggyland too.

8. Cancergiggles
    December 9th, 2005 18:56

I’m on Firefox 1.5 and getting some really freaky stuff happening. After a couple of minutes of your world being green, the blog space suddenly changed to white causing me to have a minor heart attack. When I decided to let you know about this by commenting I got as far as entering my website and the world flickered and all the entry boxes disappeared. I flailed around for a while and found a space where I could put a cursor and started typing. I suspect that the problem could be related to one of the new Firefox extensions but so far I can’t figure out which.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Best
    Cass

December 10th, 2005 01:07

Eeek! Thanks for letting me know Cass. You’re using FF1.5 with new extensions? Anyone else getting this? And by the green, do you mean the very pale sage green of the outer background? I’ll email you :-)