Church mouse, quiet as

Are church mice quieter than your average domestic mouse? I’m betting someone, somewhere has the answer to this. But anyway.

Blue Witch coined a wonderful term over at purple pen’s comments – bloryngitis. None of that here – an inadvertent hiatus was on the horizon but certain people, wittingly or otherwise, have inspired the return. And besides, I can never resist a tagging once I’ve found about about it.

So what was the reason behind the silence this time? Oh we won’t go there. Lots of reasons but part of it was the shock at something that happened in the blogosphere last year. Well, not what happened, people’s reactions to the events. I’ve drafted/deleted about it numerous times but I’m still too angry about it soI’ll just offer up this quote*, author unknown:

A true friend overlooks your broken fence to admire your flowers.

Anyway, here are the answers to the meme from lovely Croila.

Four jobs you have had in your life:
Assistant in an A&E department (started off as a means to earn money to go travelling, came to love it but very glad to leave).
Washer upper in an M&S warehouse canteen. One week while between countries. If you’ve ever sighed at scrubbing a small saucepan after cooking scrambled eggs, picture a vat 20 times the size.
Cold calling at an insurance brokers. Again, a short term thing before travelling. I lasted a whole week. Still have nightmares. Not the best job for the shy retiring type, even if I did make a beeline for the Welsh surnames when handed a phone directory and told to start calling.
European production manager.

Four movies you would watch over and over:
Only four? Yegads! Okay, today’s four would be:
Hobson’s Choice [while googling for this I discovered that it was remade in 1983 with John-boy Walton as Will Mossop. There should be laws against this. Then again, I’d love to see the Flemish version.]
Erin Brokovitch (for the wonderful chemistry between Finney and Roberts)
Truly Madly Deeply (perfect, from start to end)
Paper Moon

Four places you have lived:
South Wales. Cold and damp.
Paris. Ditto.
Belgium. Are we seeing a pattern yet?
Cambridge, Mass – perfect weather year round!

Four TV shows you love to watch:
Frasier
ER
Any international rugby game when Wales are winning
Can’t think of a fourth. Would rather be online.

Four places you have been on vacation:
Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver)
Washington DC
Various bits of France
Southern Ireland

Four websites I visit daily:
BBC
MetaFilter
This blog so that I can go visit the blogroll. Is that cheating?

Four of my favourite foods:
Leek and potato soup with brown bread
Chicken and mayonnaise sandwiches on brown bread
Steak and chips (french fries)
Anything with tomatoes

Four bloggers I am tagging:
I think I might’ve missed the boat on this one but just in case there’s one person left in the blogging universe who hasn’t filled this in yet, I’ll tag you, you, you and you.

And finally

* Found this wonderful quote while googling for the earlier one:

Friendship is like peeing in your pants
Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth

18 Responses to “Church mouse, quiet as”

1. Karan
    February 13th, 2006 21:22

I don’t remember an outroar in the blogosphere…was I out? No matter, I’m glad you’re coming back.

2. Em³
    February 13th, 2006 21:26

I’m sure I read somewhere that researchers at the University of Abergavenny established in 2003 that church mice are 43.2% quieter than your average house mouse. I’ve got the URL here somewhere …

3. Em³
    February 13th, 2006 21:27

Oh, and shouldn’t the fourth TV show be QI or D/ND?

February 13th, 2006 21:49

Em, I think you might be right about the U of A report, I’ll try and dig it out too.

As for the fourth show, you’re half right about QI but it comes under the heading “shows I would watch if I had time and didn’t spend so much time on the interweb”; while D/ND is an addiction I’ve avoided by either avoiding it completely or tuning in at exactly 16:52 (or the equivalent times for the later evening repeats) to watch the final will(s)he/won’t (s)he deal. I tell you what, I’ve been giving up smoking since late December and that’s not as hard as avoiding Deal or No Deal!

5. Croila
    February 13th, 2006 22:21

Welcome back! :-D

6. Joan
    February 14th, 2006 01:56

What a delight to see you back.

7. Kimberly
    February 14th, 2006 03:08

Hmm. Now you’ve got me so darn curious. Were people mean? We’ll take ’em out!!

8. briggy
    February 14th, 2006 12:41

well. i still like your daffodils.

even if u did hump our rugby team.

9. birdy
    February 14th, 2006 13:25

Daisy its wonderful you’re back with us and I too missed any hint of an outroar.

Which I’m now slightly curious about.

Leek and potato soup has always failed to really excite me. I think we’re going to need to see the recipe….

10. Em³
    February 14th, 2006 13:52

Penblwydd hapus, cariad

11. Dave Goodman
    February 14th, 2006 15:49

Welcome back… happy Valentine’s Day… and, (do I have this right?)… Happy Birthday! :)

February 14th, 2006 16:05

Thank you all! And well guessed Mr Goodman :-)

Birdy, I’ll post the recipe later, it’s an amended (and cheaper) version of a Nick Nairn/BBC recette and a real corker.

13. doobyus
    February 14th, 2006 17:07

Daisy, did you really hump the Scots rugby team? I am ashamed of you.

14. doobyus
    February 14th, 2006 17:08

Incidentally, Charles Laughton was my Grannie’s cousin.

15. Blue Witch
    February 14th, 2006 23:45

Happy Bday, Happy VDay, and Happy RDay!

Tis a very small but very exclusive club who noticed, and care. “Karma” is all I want to say about it. Nothing to gain by bringing it all up again now.

16. briggy
    February 15th, 2006 11:11

she did doobyus. she sooo did!

17. Fi
    February 16th, 2006 01:53

Ooh, you’re back!

Woohoo!

18. Knock Knock Mary
    February 16th, 2006 04:37

Potato Leek Soup – mmmmmm! Thrilled, just thrilled that I can come here and be with you a bit. Sorry, I got caught up in my sister’s arrival and failed to greet you properly. Consider yourself greeted!