Forrin stuff on the tellybox

I don’t know why that word makes me smile but it does. A Channel 4 promo for E4 started using the word last year in trailers for “second chance Sunday”, an opportunity to catch up on new episodes of ER on a Sunday night. Useful for those who haven’t manipulated organised it so that the man of the house has his boys’ night out on a Thursday, leaving herself to wallow in ER and to catch up on anything taped during the rest of the week.

But I got to wondering earlier, we get so many US imports here in the UK (and very good some of them are too) but why don’t we get to see more imports from other English speaking countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand? I’d not expect the good old British public to accept many, God forbid, subtitled imports (and besides, the tv companies would probably dub the damn things) but surely there are some quality programmes being made out there that we’re not seeing?

But let’s pretend we can choose what we want to watch. Wherever you live in the world, what local shows would you recommend? Come to think of it, if you’re in the UK/US, which little gems should we be exporting?

And finally… if you’ve had your fill of medical dramas, reality shows and soap operas you’ll appreciate the Wikipedia list of television clichés. When I’ve a minute I might add a section for radio dramas, noting that in certain long-established radio soap operas the norm seems to be that a posh accent equals a decent, intelligent person while a regional accent indicates a ne’er-do-well with the intelligence of a jam jar.

[tags]radio, television, shows, imports[/tags]

8 Responses to “Forrin stuff on the tellybox”

1. Knock Knock Mary
    March 23rd, 2006 03:40

Here I am an American and I’ve never seen ER, nor Desparate Housewives, but my duaghter and I love the Vicar of Dibley, a UK export. Then there is a Canadian series called Corner Gas, that we have sent down by my sister in Canada. Funny in an in-your-head kinda thing.

March 23rd, 2006 11:01

Oh Mary, have you seen the episode in VoD where Alice Tinker gets married? I’ve a post somewhere entitled Top Ten Memorable TV Moments (still in draft form, ahem) and just the thought of it makes me chuckle.

3. Neil T.
    March 23rd, 2006 11:06

Neighbours? ;)

Actually the Beeb recently imported Kath & Kim, a comedy series on BBC2, from Australia. But you’re right, there’s not a lot out there.

4. Clare
    March 23rd, 2006 11:42

You’re right, there’s something inherently funny about “tellybox”. I like it anyway. And “forrin.”

P.S. Is there a way of makign your comments box remember me?

March 23rd, 2006 13:15

Neil, I saw one episode of Kath & Kim when it first aired and absolutely loathed it. I can (almost) see why other people find it funny but I ain’t one of them.

Clare, glad the cookies are working now… oops, there’s that chocolate word again!

6. Alison
    March 23rd, 2006 14:10

Hmmm. My last few years in France I didn’t have a TV, so I am sort of catching up. Unfortunately I can’t recommend anything that we could export. But I do enjoy most anything on the Food Network over here. *smacks lips*

7. Fi
    March 23rd, 2006 21:51

Us Kiwis are lucky – we get a great mix of US, UK and Australian telly and always have – and
    there’s always been a lot
    Canadian childrens telly on as well.

We have some quality dramas and documentaries which I think UK audiences would enjoy, but there’s a lot of competition out there – hard to get a leg in the door.

So if you do spot a Kiwi show, be sure it’s bound to be top notch!

8. Richard
    March 24th, 2006 00:17

We should export Green Wing (if we’re not doing so already) as it is very funny.