Dear Frankie

Man and boy running across a Scottish beach

I finally got to see Dear Frankie last night:

Nine year-old Frankie and his single mum Lizzie have been on the move ever since Frankie can remember, most recently arriving in a seaside Scottish town. Wanting to protect her deaf son from the truth that they’ve run away from his father, Lizzie has invented a story that he is away at sea on the HMS Accra. Every few weeks, Lizzie writes to Frankie a make-believe letter from his father, telling of his adventures in exotic lands.

As Frankie tracks the ship’s progress around the globe, he discovers that it is due to dock in his hometown. With the real HMS Accra arriving in only a fortnight, Lizzie must choose between telling Frankie the truth or finding the perfect stranger to play Frankie’s father for just one day.

A cracking story, wonderful acting and a first class script. I’m on a mission now to try and see screenwriter Andrea Gibb’s other films.

Tellybox and wireless archives

There’s much excitement over the BBC has opening up its fully searchable experimental programme catalogue – “details of 946,614 BBC radio & TV programmes, dating back 75 years”. There’s a great introduction to the site by Tom Loosemore but best of all, Murky Murdoch is well pissed off about it.

First task: what was on television the day I was born? Harold Wilson (then Prime Minister), a documentary about Japan and another heartbreaking episode of Steptoe and Son.

I love that you can search for your favourite programmes – how about Nice Town? I’m thinking of starting a campaign to get the beeb (or anyone!) to broadcast it again.

Oh and the Woman’s Hour dramatisation of Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca with Harriet Walter and Michael Rosen. I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

There’s plenty to explore but first thought is that the radio icon could be improved – I spent the first 10 minutes thinking it was a clapperboard therefore a movie icon. Or maybe I should go find my spectacles.

11 Responses to “Dear Frankie”

1. briggy
    April 27th, 2006 21:24

Film sounds good daisy. Wonder where in Scotland it was filmed.

Looks bit like greenock just along the coast where I once lived.

2. Knock Knock Mary
    April 28th, 2006 00:53

I opened the site in another tab and it’s still loading! Must be getting lots of hits. I’ll keep trying and as for Rebecca – That’s a must do.

April 28th, 2006 08:55

Briggy, you’re right! According to this movie location site, “Dear Frankie was filmed around Greenock and Glasgow.”

Mary, I’m sure it’ll be mega busy for days/weeks to come. But I’m sorry, I should have made it more clear – the programmes themselves aren’t there, just the catalogue listings. I would love to hear that version of Rebecca again, maybe I’ll email the Womans Hour programme or start a thread on the message boards.

4. briggy
    April 28th, 2006 09:42

when i was really skint and my partner very ill i used to take my oldest boy for walks along those beaches at the weekend.

it was the only thing we could afford to do. and it was the only thing that kept me sane.

5. Croila
    April 28th, 2006 13:04

Oooh, I like the sound of that film too. Where did you see it Daisy? Was it on telly, or video/DVD?

6. Anji
    April 28th, 2006 14:33

The film sounds really interesting; I remember listening to Rebecca on Woman’s Hour too, let’s hope it gets repeated!

7. john
    April 28th, 2006 17:44

You gave me blogging advice via Gia’s site a while back – Ive taken the plunge and need your advice – pls email me so I can contact you – the “contact me” button here doesn’t seem to work for me.

April 30th, 2006 09:42

Hi John, sorry for the delay, have been offline in a mad spring clean. Have just emailed you.

9. Nancy
    April 30th, 2006 18:26

So, a long time ago, a friend of mine lent me a video of a (I think) BBC television thing called Talking Heads – was it a series? And what it was was Maggie Smith doing a monologue titled “A Bed of Lentils.” And I loved it so much and would give anything to be able to see it again. Do you have any idea what I’m talking about?

April 30th, 2006 18:38

Oh I do! That was from the Allan Bennett “Talking Head” monologues. They were wonderful and I’m sure they’re available on dvd in the States… hang on …

The Complete Talking Heads (paperback book)

The audio book

and the dvd

There’s quite a range of his work on amazon.com, best to do a search for Allan Bennett and see what you fancy!

11. chasingdaisy.com » Blog Archive » Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again
    May 11th, 2006 00:37

[…] Well I didn’t really dream that but remember I was wishing we could hear again the Woman’s Hour dramatisation of Du Maurier’s Rebecca? […]