A post of Joan‘s reminded me of the wonderful To Do List blog, a collection of lists from around the world. My favourite of the current batch was written on December 31st at 11:55 p.m and is titled “New Year’s Resolutions of a Brooklyn Teenage Girl, 1957” (no permalinks to individual posts I’m afraid, scroll down to Tuesday, February 28, 2006 (or go to the February 2006 archives).
New Year’s Resolutions
1) I will sew buttons as soon as they fall off.
But then you won’t get to collect buttons in a pretty jar.
2) I will wear lipstick whenever I leave the house.
3) I will not tease boys (especially ones over 18).
At least I think it’s 18. I need a lewd comment from Doobyus here.
4) I will not get fat and flabby.
5) I will start every day off by grinning in the mirror.
Have you tried the tennis ball technique?
6) I will not light a cigarette if I don’t really want it.
Good for you!
7) I will gossip a little less maliciously with Ruth.
Remember the old saying, “Gossip is halitosis of the mind.”
8) I will not eat as much.
I’m sensing food issues here.
9) I will not fall into bed without brushing my hair & teeth, no matter what time it is.
I love the underlining.
10) I will always walk with my head up, and not wiggle so much.
Wiggle, girl, wiggle!
11) I will not pay for dates with kisses.
At least, I think that word is kisses. It is, isn’t it?
12) I will not go out with icky boys, ever!