Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again

Actress Alex Kingston as ER Doctor Corday

Well I didn’t really dream that but remember I was wishing we could hear again the Woman’s Hour dramatisation of Du Maurier‘s Rebecca?

Well I just spotted a listing for a new reading of Rebecca by Alex Kingston (Moll Flanders, ER’s Elizabeth Corday) on Friday nights on BBC Radio 2. The first part is available until Friday on the Radio 2 website (scroll down, it’s toward the bottom of the right hand sidebar) while the second (and subsequent) parts are on Friday nights at 21:15 BST.

Interesting trivia (via the Wikipedia entry):

In Ken Follett‘s thriller The Key to Rebecca, du Maurier’s novel Rebecca is used as the key for a code used by a German spy in World War II Cairo.

Mary, I think you will love this!

8 Responses to “Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again”

1. Knock Knock Mary
    May 11th, 2006 02:34

Oh yes, yes, yes. I remember reading The Key to Rebecca while traveling by plane and it was at a particularly tense place when the plane landed. I sat reading while the entire plane unloaded and the hostess had to tell me to leave now. Thanks for the link – you’re a jewel.

May 11th, 2006 09:27

Isn’t it lovely to get so engrossed in a book? I’ve lost count of the times I’ve missed my train stop because it. Happily the next station to mine is at the end of the line so I can’t go too far :-)

3. Croila
    May 11th, 2006 13:14

I got given a “sequel” to Rebecca, which I haven’t yet read and can’t remember what it’s called. It’s by someone other than du Maurier, and I can picture the book but can’t for the life of me recall who wrote it or what it’s called.

Oh wait! The bookshelf meme that’s going round? I’ll check my photo of the bookcase – it’ll tel me!

4. Croila
    May 11th, 2006 13:17

Ah, got it. (Top right hand side of this picture)

“Rebecca’s Tale” by Sally Beauman. Anyone else know if it’s any good?

5. Croila
    May 11th, 2006 13:18

Sorry Daisy, I have borked your page with that link :-(

May 11th, 2006 13:20

Unborked! Hehehe.

May 11th, 2006 13:22

I’ve not read Rebecca’s Tale and would also be interested to hear if anyone’s read it. Might take a trip to the library and see if they’ve got it. Yeah right, like I’ve got time to read fiction at the minute!

8. stephen
    December 15th, 2006 00:28

Hi
    what a wonderful site. I am the presenter of ‘we’ll keep a comic in the hillside’ and thought I’d say hello. have a good xmas

steve