Links for 2006-05-22

6 Responses to “Links for 2006-05-22”

1. Nancy
    May 22nd, 2006 13:12

I really liked the Nigel Marsh article. I could relate to a lot of it. Finding work a little more fun and exciting than domestic life, but hating to miss out on family time . . . It’s a good message for working moms as well, although for some reason the idea of a man staying home with his kids always comes across as something heroic and admirable whereas no one really comments when a woman takes time off from her career.

2. Nancy
    May 22nd, 2006 13:15

On a side note, does it really really matter that the water for tea be boiling first? My Canadian houseguest was aghast when I suggested steaming was probably hot enough.

3. Julia
    May 22nd, 2006 13:38

Nancy, it all depends on the type of tea!

How to make the perfect cuppa:

Enjoy…!

4. razorhead
    May 23rd, 2006 11:47

Ditto, loved the Guardian article. That guy is me. This is why I’m trying to jack it all in to grow alpacas.

Water must be boiling to make tea.

5. Pewari
    May 23rd, 2006 13:22

I really enjoyed the Nigel Marsh article too. It’s something I think we’ve done without realising it since having kids, I think – we’ve always put family and time before earnings power. It’s led to some hairy times… but on the whole, I think we’ve got the balance right for us.

Gawd knows how I had the time to actually work before though!

May 24th, 2006 22:12

Thanks Julia, that’s a good link for tea making instructions. I’ll third the tea must be boiling vote.

Razor, please tell me that your plan to grow alpacas is a typo and not a eupemism for a trendy new fetish? Suddenly, sites like I love alpacas takes on a whole new meaning…

Pewari, I know families on both sides of the fence (both working/one working, one stay at home) and I marvel at how they all cope with young children, both for time and money.