Mixed bag #421

I can’t begin to imagine the heartache behind this dreadful story of mistaken identity:

A couple sat by their daughter’s hospital bedside for weeks after an auto accident until she came out of a coma and they realized she was not their daughter after all, but another blond-haired young woman injured in the wreck. Their own daughter, it turned out, was dead and buried.

Let’s find some happier news stories.

Middle-aged couple holding a Jack Russell terrierAh, here we are, Missing dog hidden under bonnet

Or the sheep who thinks she’s a dog (file under “only in Wales…”)

I hope there’s a similar happy ending for this wee chap.

If you’ve ever been stuck for just the right picture (l’image juste?) to annoy someone online, take a look at Griffey’s diss pics.

Wartime poster, cheery soldier with enamel mug of tea and the caption 'How about a nice cup of shut the fuck up'

And finally, aren’t some of you fans of the Pixies? Then how ’bout Matthew’s Celebrity Pixies Tribute, “covers of your favorite Pixes songs, by “other famous musicians”!”. They’re going down a storm over at MetaFilter.

7 Responses to “Mixed bag #421”

1. ally bean
    June 6th, 2006 12:36

“She likes football, she sits with her ears pricked.” I can’t help but thinking that perhaps the diss pic might be appropriate applied to the sheep article guy. ;-)

2. Alison
    June 6th, 2006 13:20

I’d call it “la bonne image,” but that’s just me. “The right word” in French is “le mot juste,” but when you are referring to just about any other “right” thing, the adjective changes.

Too pedantic? Maybe I need a cup of that STFU right now, huh?

3. Knock Knock Mary
    June 6th, 2006 18:00

Definitely bookmarked the Diss stuff. I have a dog who thinks he’s a sheep as he was tagged to be one in a child’s play. I think he loved all the attention and keeps performing. Sad stories mixed with happy, fun stuff – we need the balance now more than ever.

4. Fi
    June 6th, 2006 23:48

That mistaken identity story was so , so sad. The grief would be unfathomable – for both families.

Love that diss site.

5. Noelle
    June 8th, 2006 05:09

I’ve had the original version of “no. 13 baby” stuck in my head ALL DAMN DAY! Now I get to hear Elvis do it! I can’t keep up with all the mefi threads so thank you for posting this!!

6. jan
    June 8th, 2006 19:03

I borrowed your picture of the couple with the “missing” Jack Russell for today’s post. We seem to think somewhat alike. I’m adding you to my links because you are wonderful, which, of course, makes ME wonderful.

Pam’s mom,
    Jan

June 8th, 2006 19:47

Jan, cue the theme music to The Twilight Zone – I copied and pasted the url to the poodle and dog blog earlier today ready to add it to the links but got sidetracked by the offer of a cup of tea. Isn’t that spooky?

Alison, thank you. Grammar and spelling go out of the window late at night over here :-)