She is gone

A beautiful white rose for Meg
Photo by Agnieszka K. at Stock Xchng

Not an hour ago I was throwing notes into a future post, tying up a “sunshine” theme with Gia’s photographs, the British weather (Wimbledon day one = rain, rain and more rain) and people who bring sunshine into our lives.

Then I got an email from Stu(art) with the dreadful news that Meg died this weekend.

Meg was one of the kindest, most generous and giving people on the planet. Like Stu, we had the odd “heated discussion” on US politics (heh, the quickest way to wind Meg up was to post something rapidly anti-shrub, especially if you weren’t even American) but it never got in the way of our mutal admiration society and I will always treasure the honour of a spot on the House of Mandarin Quilt.

How can we become so attached to people we haven’t met in real life? I don’t know. But I do know that Meg will be missed by many across the world.

Here’s a poem by David Harkins that I think Meg would have loved.

She is gone

You can shed tears that she is gone,
or you can smile because she has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that she’ll come back,
or you can open your eyes and see all she’s left.
Your heart can be empty because you can’t see her,
or you can be full of the love you shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember her only that she is gone,
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind,
be empty and turn your back.
Or you can do what she’d want:
smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

My sympathies to Meg’s family and friends across the world.

10 Responses to “She is gone”

1. Knock Knock Mary
    June 26th, 2006 16:23

Oh, I’m so sorry. Sounds as if she has had a rough go of it and has many friends who will miss her. She has indeed a beautiful site. BTW, I found you on the quilt and hopped right back here through it. So, her magic rolls on even tho Meg is gone. Bless her.

2. Croila
    June 26th, 2006 20:17

I have dipped into Mandarin Design quite a lot of times over the last couple of years, but I had no idea of who the person behind it was. She must have been a very talented lady. I can completely understand how awful you feel about someone’s passing even though you’ve never met him/her – it leaves a real hole.

You don’t have to meet people to be friends.

3. Susan
    June 26th, 2006 22:42

I share your sadness and just wanted to touch base with another Mandarin Meg fan.

Blessings to you and yours,

Susan

4. Blogging in Paris » Goodbye Michelle
    June 26th, 2006 23:17

[…] Chasing Daisy’s […]

5. Dave Goodman
    June 27th, 2006 20:01

Rest in peace, Michelle

Thank you, Daisy.

6. sherle
    June 28th, 2006 17:11

Am sharing your thoughts for Meg today. I, too, have learned so much from her… and will miss her. Thank you for sharing the poem. Haven’t heard of the poet before but will share it with my family who are still trying to get over the loss of their father and grandfather (my spouse of 50 years) last summer. The sentiment is how I’ve been able to deal with my husband’s death.

7. sherle
    June 28th, 2006 17:14

Am sharing your thoughts for Meg today. I, too, have learned so much from her… and will miss her. God bless and keep our dear Mandarin Meg.

8. Fi
    June 30th, 2006 02:38

Oh no! I learnt most of what I know about colours and images from Meg.

What a talented lady she was. She’ll be sadly missed.

9. lynne evans
    August 29th, 2006 14:59

my mother died on sat 10 days after being diagnosed with liver cancer.i am going to use she is gone for her funeral.thank you.much love.increase the peace.
    lynne

August 29th, 2006 15:29

Lynne, I’m so sorry to hear of your mother’s death, it must have been such a shock. That really is a beautiful poem, isn’t it? I hope it helps you through this dreadful time.