Desert island discs

I’ll go first then, shall I?

The 8 discs

Hallelujah, John Cale
Pearl’s a Singer, Elkie Brooks
Town Called Malice, The Jam
I heard it through the grapevine, Marvin Gaye
Little Boxes, Malvina Reynolds
You are my sunshine, Elizabeth Mitchell and Daniel Littleton
Brezairola, Barbra Streisand
The Blower’s Daughter, Damien Rice

The 1 disc

I heard it through the grapevine, Marvin Gaye

The book

I’m not particularly struck on having the bible there waiting for me but you’re not allowed to swap. Still, the Complete Works of Shakespeare should be the ideal opportunity to study the bard at length so I think I’d request a scholarly but accessible critique of his work… or maybe Simon Schama’s The Embarrassment of Riches : An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden Age?

Nah! I’d take the collected works of Nevil Shute. Wait! No, make that George Orwell. And it must include A Clergyman’s Daughter. [Although the Schama book is excellent and highly recommended.]

The luxury

An iron and ironing board. I kid! No, I think I’d have to be fairly boring and plump for a large set of lovely, unopened Moleskin notebooks, lined and unlined, plus a wooden box of all sorts of pens and pencils, coloured inks. Oh hell, can I just have the contents of Brighton’s Pen to Paper tucked away in my cave? Thank ye kindly.

6 Responses to “Desert island discs”

1. Anji
    July 10th, 2006 13:25

I’ve worried about being invited to that program ever since I was very small. I couldn’t even start to choose 8 discs or just ONE book. I agree with you; lots of paper, pens pencils and inks so I could draw, write and make paper aeroplanes.

July 10th, 2006 17:59

See, that’s the joy of being a nobody, I’ll never have to face the turmoil of choosing for real ;-)

3. Leah
    July 10th, 2006 19:28

Daisy, I promise that I’ll work on my desert island discs today … more interesting than what is in my in-tray to be tackled!

Time to get my ipod out and hope no one notices … ssshhh!

4. leah
    July 11th, 2006 00:58

Homework completed :)

July 11th, 2006 10:08

3 gold stars and an extra bottle of milk Leah!

6. Suzy

7. Buffalo Tom, Late at Night
    8. Bruce Springsteen, Lonesome Day

Reading:

The Box of Delights, by John Masefield

Luxury:

My dog

Can I have a bottle of champagne instead of milk? ;)