Honour

I’m sat in front of the wireless, freshly made latte and eccles cake for refreshment, ready to listen to the Saturday play on BBC Radio 4 starting in a couple of minutes from now (at 14:30 BST).

Honour by Joanna Murray-Smith

An emotionally charged dissection of a marriage, especially recorded for Radio 4 after its successful West End run at Wyndham’s Theatre.

Honor is faced with her husband’s confession that, after 30 years of an apparently happy marriage, he is leaving her.

There’s a great cast (Diana Rigg, Martin Jarvis, Natascha McElhone and Georgina Rich), the play had rave reviews when it was on stage with the same cast so it should be good.

If you want to join me, virtually speaking, you’re most welcome. But I’m afraid I ate the eccles cake during the writing of this post so it’s a BYOB (Bring Your Own Biscuits) kinda party.

Update

Well, the play will be available for the next seven days but to be honest, I wouldn’t bother. Maybe I was too distracted but it failed to hold my attention and I started clock watching from about 10 minutes in. Shame.

9 Responses to “Honour”

1. Knock Knock Mary
    July 15th, 2006 18:55

So, did you make your own eccles cake or was it one of those “fake” eccles cakes? I usually like anything Diana Rigg is in, too bad.

2. Magpie
    July 16th, 2006 11:13

I just listened to honour, and I really enjoyed it. Just goes to illustrate that different people have different tastes :)

July 16th, 2006 13:02

Mary, I’m afraid they were shop bought cakes but they’re so damn good and to be honest, it’s cheaper to buy than make. And I agree with you on Diana Rigg, especially since I’m also (just) old enough to remember her in Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir :-)

Magpie, normally we have very similar Radio 4 tastes so I might give it another go late tonight, concentrate on the play rather than the code I was trying to make work. Ahem.

4. Nancy
    July 16th, 2006 13:02

I just loved Mrs. Peel! It’s nice to hear that Diana Rigg is still working. The eccles cakes sound delicious and the recipe – with ready made pastry – maybe not too hard? I have to make a birthday cake this morning and I was just looking for easy recipes.

July 16th, 2006 13:08

I was just going to take a picture of them but google has saved me the bovver – here they are, Real Lancashire Eccles Cakes containing Real Butter. Yummy!

6. leah
    July 18th, 2006 00:17

Please post me an eccles cake I haven’t had one for ages!

Sorry to hear about Honour, have you listened to Vent the new comedy with Neil Pearson? Not bad, an interesting concept and of course anything with Drop the Dead Donkey’s Dave :)

July 18th, 2006 00:22

I’m definitely going to try Honour again this week before it disappears and yes, I enjoyed the first epside of Vent (mmm, Neil Pearson!).

July 18th, 2006 00:25

Sorry, I missed the eccles-begging-letter bit ;-)

You know, I’m sure you’ll be able to get them in New York, there must be many outlets selling British foodstuffs? If not, yes of course I’ll send you emergency rations!

9. Anne
    July 29th, 2006 11:10

If you want to save “Honour” to your computer go there :

(Enter the site, click on “Plays and Poetry” and you’ll find the play)

IMPORTANT : It will be on line untill the 31st of July, so rush ! :)