Oh you lucky people

The cast of Life on Mars

If you have access to BBC America you need to cancel all appointments for next Monday evening (July 24, 10pm ET), settle yourself down in a nice comfy chair, unplug the ‘phone and start watching the 8 part BBC series Life on Mars.

Sam Tyler, a cool, sharp young detective, is working hard to keep the streets of 21st century Manchester safe from crime. But his world is turned upside down when the hunt for a serial killer becomes a personal vendetta after Maya, his girlfriend and colleague, goes missing. Desperately afraid she has been kidnapped by the killer, he sets out to find her, only to become involved in a near-fatal car accident. When he wakes, he finds himself in a different era – 1973. Is this reality, madness or a dream? Sam struggles to understand what is happening to him.

Disoriented and traumatized, 21st century Sam is completely bewildered by his new environment. As all attempts to return to his own time fail, Sam falls back on what he knows best – his job. … This is a world without cell phones, where cops rely on paperwork and memory instead of computers, there’s no DNA profiling and what forensics do exist take two weeks to process.

How to sum it up? Brilliant scripting, fine performances, a superb soundtrack of fab and groovy seventies music and a storyline that keeps you guessing right ’til the end. And beyond. A second series is currently being made (hooray!).

6 Responses to “Oh you lucky people”

July 20th, 2006 19:11

Forgot to add, there’s lots more information (epside guide, video clips, etc.) on the BBC UK Life on Mars pages.

2. Leah
    July 20th, 2006 20:03

It is one of the most entertaining and refreshing shows on TV (along side Battlestar Galactica). I intend to email a reminder around my office to make sure they all tune in on Monday night.

3. Knock Knock Mary
    July 21st, 2006 00:21

curses! We don’t get BBCAmerica, those cheapo providers here in Fl. However, I do go to Mininova and download some series. I hope someone records it, please!

4. Knock Knock Mary
    July 21st, 2006 00:22

Iknow, I know, I’m a very naughty girl, downloading, but it preserves us from constant ads.

5. Fi
    July 23rd, 2006 04:16

One to keep an eye out for! I will get onto the TVNZ website and find out if they’ve bought it…

6. jo
    August 30th, 2006 13:58

I just want to thank you. This show is absolutely brilliant! We both love it and we’re bumming because the season is almost over.