Waaah, waaah

Come join the pity party. On top of everthing else I got bitten by mosquitos last night. The bites (all EIGHT of them) are swollen and ugly and earlier this evening I rubbed one of the many now boil-like eruptions on the fleshy part of my calf on the wicker chair and it burst and waaah, waaah. Ten minutes later her ladyship was trying to kill her ball on a rope* (terriers are like that) when she slapped the rope across the recently burst bite. There are not enough cuss words in the English language to do it justice so I’ll spare you.

But I’ve had a shower, slathered on some antisceptic cream and they’re just quietly throbbing. And I feel like such a crybaby.

So let’s move on to something I installed earlier, Roel Muerder’s WordPress plugin, WP-SingleMP3 for Jeroen Wijering’s Flash Single MP3 player.

Pete Seeger singing Little Boxes:

Now this is the hilarious Liverpool radio clip posted earlier this year. Either hamsters have invaded the studio or something’s happened to the playback speed… Is it something to do with compression of the original file? Enquiring minds wish to know. But not just yet. Let’s enjoy the hamsters.

* Finding that picture led me to the Humungu Tongue. Yes I will be searching for them in the UK and yes I will take pictures when found.

8 Responses to “Waaah, waaah”

1. Karan
    July 26th, 2006 01:03

I found this via Yahoo…and it seems easy enough and safe enough to follow this advice. Have fun, Karan

Wear Socks: 80% of all bites are on the ankle

Wear closed toed shoes for the same reason

Avoid Bananas during the mosquito season: Bananas produce a pheromone that mosquitoes go ape over

Avoid sugary drinks because they also attract mosquitoes

Eat citrus. Despite being sweet, citrus does not attract mosquitoes and in fact repels them

Use essential oils’ catnip and rosemary

Last year, several members of the Iowa State University Department of Entomology presented the results of a study on common catnip. Among their conclusions was the fact that an essential oil in catnip is 10 times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than potent chemicals such as DEET.

Shop around for the best buy

I would add lavender to the oil for a good aroma http://www.essentialoil.com/catalog/adva

Eliminate standing water in your community or at least in your neighborhood: A couple of drops of Citronella Oil, Neem Oil, or Catnip will prevent eggs from hatching.

Recycle and dispose of old tires and other containers where mosquitoes breed

Shower with unscented shampoos and laundry detergent. Strong scents attract mosquitoes.

Avoid going out in the hour after dawn and the hour before dawn. Over 80% of bites occur when the temperature is perfect for breeding in those hour after sunrise and before sunset.

2. Knock Knock Mary
    July 26th, 2006 01:35

Take antihistamine if you have it. It will really cut down on the itching and swelling. Poor baby.

3. leah
    July 26th, 2006 03:00

Poor you! In need of tea and sympathy me thinks :)

BTW did you listen to today’s episode of the Archers??? Gripping stuff…can’t wait for tomorrow.

July 26th, 2006 12:52

Wow, thank you Karan!

The “avoid standing water” is difficult because we live behind a reservoir and have a pond just outside the back door/below the bedroom window :-(

The pond pump has been sluggish for a while so although the water is quite active, it’s not as oxygenated as it might be (due to replace the pump this weekend).

The thought of wearing anything on my legs at the minute is hideous but I’ll definitely think about wearing thin cotton pyjamas to bed for the next few nights.

Oh and bananas are now banned until October!

Mary, thank you. I hate taking antihistamines but I think I’ll have to. One rummage in the bathroom cabinet coming up.

Leah, I just listened to last night’s edition – ooooh! I’d been hoping that Peggy Woolley had axed him to death in a fit of rage (he dropped one aitch too many) and we could have an exciting trial and the resurrection of the death penalty, finally to be rid of her!

5. Rose
    July 26th, 2006 17:18

I hate to be a bearer of bad news … but the description of the mosquito bites is horrendous. Most people get a small itchy welt about the size of a pencil eraser in diameter, not big boil-like things that are filled with pus. If you are reacting the way you describe above, you really need to see a doctor. Now. Not tomorrow. This minute.

July 26th, 2006 17:30

Rose, thank you for the kind advice – I’m beginning to think that they were horsefly bites rather than mosquito because dammit, they hurt! I can’t get to the doctor today (no transport, absolutely no chance of an appointment at the surgery anyway) but if they’re still bad tomorrow I’ll do something about it, promise :-)

7. Alison
    July 27th, 2006 13:47

A wise woman once told me, when I was miserable about something (and feeling guilty for being miserable when others are even more miserable), “This is affecting you; do not belittle how you feel. Your problems are VALID.”

Or something to that effect.

Point is, don’t feel like a crybaby. And take care of yourself.

8. jan
    July 30th, 2006 03:14

This sounds weird, but we rub meat tenderizer on our mosquito bites and it makes them stop itching. I have meat tenderizer in my medicine cabinet and first aid kit. People may think I am a little weird when they peer into my medicine cabinet, and they may be right.