The one with the book links

First up a couple of links for Tolkien fans, especially wedding-day-impending Kirsi. Maybe you guys would like to set up the marital home in The Shire of Bend, Oregon, a housing development inspired by the Hobbit Shire…

You’re right, why would you want to leave a wonderful country like Finland! Then how about a trip to Record Brother who has recordings of JRR Tolkien reading (and singing!) Lord of the Rings. Side 1 is a 2.4mb download, side 2 is 8.6mb.

New blog alert! Vanessa’s The Fidra Blog sounds intriguing – “the ramblings of a book-lover who created her dream job…”. You can read more on the About page but someone who’s keen on books and The Archers is sure to be of interest to at least 50% of us :-)

I like my books either brand spanking new or used, tatty and torn but if you’re interested in learning how to repair books, Fiziwig has collected a wide range of tips from the Amazon.com seller’s forum.

Many years ago my grandmother had a metal, lockable tin fashioned to look like a book that she kept nestled amongst real books in a lovely old walnut bookcase. I’ve been trying to remember the title of the book, all I can remember is that it was dark colours, maybe a pre-Raphaelite painting, and gold script (must remember to ask my father) but since that tin is long gone I might have a go at this tutorial, How to make a hollow book.

One Sentence is:

an experiment in brevity. Most of the best stories that we tell from our lives have one really, really good part that make the rest of the boring story worth it.

I’ve already spotted some favourites, like this one by Johnny Luddite:

As the porter wheeling my gurney down to the operating room took a corner too tightly, crashing my arm into the wall, I reflected that my last utterance on this earth might well be a profanity.

And finally… Mindy’s book is out! Mommy Confidential: Adventures from the Wonderbelly of Motherhood:

Take a woman fresh out of college, plop her down in Silicon Valley, saddle her with a mortgage, let her ride the tech boom, give her three babies in four years, slap her with the tech bust, watch vicariously as her marriage disintegrates, end her career, and hand her a computer. What do you get? Mommy Confidential: Adventures from the Wonder-belly of Motherhood, a memoir in real time adapted from the wildly popular weblog, The Mommy Blog.

Mommy Confidential is a naked, brutally funny, endearingly honest chronicle of family life beset by disaster on many fronts. Mindy keeps her family together through catastrophic illness, four bouts of postpartum depression, financial peril, relationship Chernobyl, familial Waterloo, and job instability. All through it her sense of humor and her sharp, edgy, witty writing keep her together and upright.

If that’s not enough to convince you, you can read excerpts here, here and here. Congratulations Mindy!

8 Responses to “The one with the book links”

1. Mindy
    September 19th, 2006 09:04

Awww, Daisy! You were my first link, did you know that?

And did you notice which name I used for my daughter in the book?

Heee. Thank you. *smooch*

September 19th, 2006 09:23

I remember, smooches right back atcha!

And did you notice which name I used for my daughter in the book?
    I did! *beams*

3. Peacechick Mary
    September 19th, 2006 10:22

…”my last utterance on this earth might well be profanity.” Ha! That’s one for the books.

Wonderful news about Mindy. I hope she wins a prize and gets very, very rich.

4. Croila
    September 19th, 2006 14:52

The Mindy book? Fantastic! You know, if it’s ever sold on Amazon.co.uk I’d be seriously tempted to buy it.

The Fidra blog? Hmmmmm. She says Edinburgh is a truly hellish place to live. BIG hmmmmmmm! :-(

5. Croila
    September 19th, 2006 14:54

OMG! I have just been looking at the Shire housing estate thingummy in Oregon. Some of those houses are absolutely beautiful! But can you imagine what kind of fruitcakes the neighbours would be?? If I could just get rid of my 1950s flat here in Edinburgh and transplant it with one of those Shire houses, I’d be over the moon!

6. ally bean
    September 19th, 2006 17:43

I love the hollow book idea. I need to make one of those. Just so I can say that I have one.

I’m very easily amused.

7. Kirsi
    September 19th, 2006 18:50

Thanks for the links, Daisy! I’m off to investigate the Shire housing thingy… ;)

8. Nancy
    September 23rd, 2006 14:53

Wonderful links! Those will fill up my weekend right there. No time to cook or clean.