Prostitutes, drug addicts, girls?

How about the fact that they were first and foremost women. Women with families and friends and loved ones. And since when did it become acceptable to broadcast the fact that the two (then) missing women were sex workers before their families knew of the missing girl’s secret?

I was just about to write about the media coverage of the recent murders in Suffolk I stopped after typing the title to do a quick blog check and saw that Gert has summed up just exactly what I was thinking and expressed it far better than I could so could I point you over there instead?

A commenter over at MetaChat has an interesting theory too:

If I was an investigator..and this is purely the work of a mind who reads too much…I would wonder about the recent prostitute murders in New Jersey, and a link to the England murders. Now, just follow me for a second…The murders in Jersey apparantly took place over a couple of months. The bodies were all located in close proximity. So what if the murderer took a flight from Atlantic City airport to England to escape the investigations? And could not help his mania, and killed the English girls in quick time before he returns to the USA? Sound plausible?

I don’t know if there are many similarities and to be honest, I don’t want to do the research to find out but it’s something to ponder.

There’s a website devoted to this already?

8 Responses to “Prostitutes, drug addicts, girls?”

1. Katherine
    December 13th, 2006 22:41

I was thinking the same thing, those poor women.

Over the past couple of years I’ve noticed a trend for showing the bodybags being transported away (haven’t seen that on any of the Suffolk coverage, not that I’ve watched much), I think that’s so disrespectful to the dead person, and to their families. I know they are dead, I don’t need to see it.

2. Peacechick Mary
    December 13th, 2006 22:56

What if this murderer has a goal of killing 2 in multiple countries?

3. Lionel
    December 14th, 2006 00:19

What’s saddened me most about this (so far) is that the third victim wasn’t even missed before she was found.

4. razorhead
    December 14th, 2006 10:38

I listened to the argument on Radion 4’s Today programme. They were prostitutes and it deserves to be mentioned, but I don’t like the headlines talking about the murder of 5 prostitutes, preferring to hear 5 people or 5 women.

But then Suzy Lamplugh was always referred to as ‘the estate agent, Suzy Lamplugh’, and I can’t recall much upset about that language.

Maybe it’s my own objectification and prejudice when I hear the word ‘prostitute’ that upsets me?

5. Gert
    December 14th, 2006 11:56

If there’s a USAF base in New Jersey it shouldn’t be ignored…considering the vicinity of USAF – Lakenheath, isn’t it?

December 14th, 2006 17:24

Lionel, that got to me too.

Good point, Razor. Someone also said that if 5 traffic wardens or nurses had been murdered the same language would have been used but I strongly suspect that the tone would be different. Let’s hope we never have the opportunity to compare.

Gert, good thinking and I can see your logic – there are indeed US air bases in both New Jersey and Lakenheath.

7. mad musings of me
    December 14th, 2006 21:47

Connections?…

I know this is completely barmy, but I am making a special appeal to readers on the East Coast of the USA. It’s probably nothing, but in reading Daisy, I made a mental connection. She quotes If I was an……

8. Nancy
    December 15th, 2006 02:08

Oh, that’s so sad. I bet they emphasize that sort of thing to make the news more sensational (the hint of sex) and less frightening (I’m not a prostitute, so it won’t happen to me.) But so unkind and disrespectful to the victims and their families.