The one with the good news

We were getting ready to go to the cemetry first thing Friday morning to scatter the ashes under the designated tree when a horse pulled up outside the house, its owner dismounted and we recognised her as Claire who works at the local kennels from which we adopted Frodo years back (they provide overspill for a rescue charity).

I didn’t blog about it at the time because, well, it was a horrible time so to cut a long story short, last summer we had a visit from a BT engineer, a lovely chap and a dog lover. He and Frodo got on well as we chatted over tea for over 30 minutes, head in lap, ears being stroked, perfect.

Then we moved to the hall and discussed the ongoing internet/phone problem, the engineer stood making a call on his mobile to test the line when suddenly Frodo charged from the other end of the room, pushed past Martyn and I and attacked the engineer, biting him twice on the thigh and stomach. The poor man. He was understandably angry and muttered something about making a full report. After much soul searching we ‘phoned the rescue group, explained the situation and they agreed to rehome him. Yes of course we wanted to keep him but with the two granddaugters, then aged 3 and 7, it was just impossible. The fear that he might suddenly turn on them was too much to bear. And then cried for a week.

But Claire came with wonderful news – Frodo has joined the army, is doing really well and is one happy dog. And I’m one happy human.

7 Responses to “The one with the good news”

1. Allan
    January 29th, 2007 02:25

I’m glad you got such uplifting news the same day of such a somber occasion.

2. Nancy
    January 29th, 2007 05:25

I agree, that was too sad a story to tell without the happy ending. I’m glad you got to find out that good news. Our beloved Australian shepherd, Matilda, who was raised only by us, so no childhood trauma issues, had a couple of unprovoked biting episodes that really scared us. She died before the baby was a year old, and as much as I missed her, it may have been a blessing. Too often little children and elderly dogs don’t mix well. It would have been a terrible choice to have to make.

3. PeacechickMary
    January 29th, 2007 11:44

Frodo in his little brigade! The poor boy was never meant to live a cozy life, but the rough and ready duty calls kind of thing. I’m glad things worked out well for everyone. She came on horseback? That gives a lovely vision of pastoral bliss.

January 29th, 2007 12:30

Thank you guys. I think Mary’s right (as always!), the damage (and breeding) had been done before he arrived with us at 6 months. A few people who know about dogs had wondered if he had been bred for security work, would never fit into a normal household. We tried to give him “a job”, as recommended by dog trainers but it was always 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.

Poor boy. I just hope that he’s with a really kind handler who treats him firmly but gently and with love and is having the time of his life, guarding whatever it is he’s guarding.

I don’t know about pastoral bliss (I wish!) but we live in a cul de sac and the nearby stables regularly exercise their horses here because there’s very little traffic.

5. Croila
    January 30th, 2007 17:54

Oh poor dog. And poor you! How awful … We had to give a dalmatian away when my brother was born, as the dog snarled at him continually – couldn’t take the risk. Personally at the time I’d rather the baby had been given away, but, oh well! Hope Frodo’s has a good sense of purpose doing what he’s doing.

6. Karan
    February 1st, 2007 04:18

We had to make a similar decision with one of our little friends…and he went home with an elderly man and they both lived a happy ever after story. It was a heart wrenching period for me.

7. Kirsi
    February 2nd, 2007 12:40

Glad to hear about the happy ending. It sounds like he might very well have the time of his life at his new job.

Lucky you with the horses, that would be lovely.