The one omelette curse

In all my forty mumble years I have never, ever been able to cook two omelettes at the same time. Well, I can cook two omelettes but the first is always scrumptious, the second an abomination of rubbery disgustingness. I’ve tried:

• cooking them in two separate pans at the same time;
  • cooking and serving one, then the next
  • making one large omelette in a bigger pan.

But to no avail. The omelette gods mock me from above.

There are so many good cooks amongst you, do you have any suggestions?

6 Responses to “The one omelette curse”

1. susan
    February 2nd, 2007 03:26

Yep. Get a bigger pan, make a double recipe, make the perfect first omelette, then cut it in half. That’s what we do!

2. stroppycow
    February 2nd, 2007 15:23

when you do 1 after the other it could be that the pan/cooking ring you use still has some residual heat which throws the timing which you use for the first. Can’t think of another rathional explanation. (asuming the eggs for the second didn’t sit waiting for the first to be cooked).

3. Nancy
    February 2nd, 2007 17:29

I can’t make even one omelette to save my life, but here’s my solution: make a quiche instead! Leave off the crust if you’re low-carbin.

4. RJ Adams
    February 2nd, 2007 20:43

Two omelettes at once? Either you have a big family, or you’re very greedy. Personally, I’d settle for scrambled eggs in a really big saucepan.

February 2nd, 2007 21:00

Susan, I’ve tried a bigger pan but it’s never as nice as the first omelette in a small pan :-(

stroppy, good point although I tend to use two small pans, melt the butter in #1, whisk the eggs and start the omelette – while that’s settling I do the same for #2 on a different ring but it could be, now that I think about it, that I’m beating the eggs too
    much on #2. Will try and restrain myself next time!

Nancy – quiche – YUMMY. Low carbs? Life’s too short to follow someone else’s eating rules!

RJ, I won’t deny the greedy bit but these are small (7″ diameter) omelette pans that make a 3 egg omelette :-)

6. Andrew
    July 1st, 2007 06:02

This has been bugging me since I read this.
    Its now July!!
    I finally have the time to reply.I cook for a living so let me share a secret.
    Two separate mixes in separate bowls.Two pans,two hobs/elements going at the same time.Make your omlette base in each one alternating between the two so they are not burning.
    Take off the heat and put your filling on each or leave plain.
    Put into a hot oven to souffle.Make sure you don’t have plastic handles!!
    2/3 minutes should be fine.
    Fold or slide onto plates.
    Viola.