The normal course of a meme is for blogger A to write a post, tag bloggers B, C, D, etc. and then sit back and enjoy the results.
So I was delighted to see the lovely Gordon’s take on Clare’s meme, The Dying of Delight.
The title is taken from her book of the same name (haven’t read it yet, intend to very soon) but the questions really make you sit down and think.
Hah! You’ve all heard stories about crowded Japanese metro trains? People flying in and out, getting jammed, no room to breathe? That’s what my brain is like at the minute.
So I’m going to take the unusual step of tagging people first while I make time and space to sit down and answer it properly.
Right then, here are the questions that make up The Book Title Meme:
- Briefly describe an aspect of your life for which ‘The Dying Of Delight’ would be an apt title.
- Pick another book whose title has some resonance in your life, and write a little about it.
- Write one more short personal piece – one which matches the book title chosen (in part 2) by the person who tagged you.
- Take your favourite little-known book and plug it to your readers. Authors need incomes, and word of mouth is one of the best ways to sell books.
- Sit back and marvel at the magnificence of this meme. It was brought to you by an out-of-breath author, reduced (on account of her publisher having expired) to trundling copies of her book across the internet on a rusty old trolley with one wheel missing, sweating and shouting “Buy me book, Gov?” Now visit Clare’s book site and see if you’d like a copy for yourself.
- Tag five people with this meme.
Ah. For question 3 you’ll need that from me won’t you? Okay, it’ll be A Clergyman’s Daughter by George Orwell. It’s a wonderful book, go borrow it from the library when you’ve finished reading Clare’s book.
So I’ve broken one rule by doing it arse backwards. The next is the suggestion of five tags. Five? Are you forgetting how many great writers there are on them thar blogrolls? Do you realise how nosey we all are?
And besides, some in this list will be too busy to partipate and/or taking a writing break. So it’s over to you folks.
Ali, Allan, Andre, Birdy, Briggy, Croila, Daisy-W, Ed, Biggles’ owner, Gia, Leah, Mary, Meesh, Nancy, Richard and Toni.
Oops, The Dubious One got deleted in all that alphasorting and cut and paste linkage.
Addition: It has been suggested that the title of this post might have an error in it. It was intentional. No, really.
Update 2: It just occurred to me that in that long list of names might be folk that you’d like to tag if you take up the meme – feel free to do so.